Replacement for Obsolete AD639 Trigonometric Function Converter Chip

• Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date
In summary, the AD639 is an obsolete trigonometric function converter chip made by Analog Devices. There is currently no replacement available from the company. However, you may still be able to find the chip from second-hand sources or through distributors for obsolete electronics. If all else fails, there are alternative circuits with lower distortion that can be used.
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The AD639 is a trigonometric function converter chip that was made by Analog Devices, and is now obsolete. They, however, do not make a replacement.

http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Obsolete_Data_Sheets/55889558331308887AD639.pdf

1. Does anyone else make a similar chip ?

2. Do you know any reliable distributors for obsolete electronics that I can call for the AD639 ?

3. If nothing comes out of 1 and 2, what's the next best way to generate a low-distortion sinewave, from a triangle-wave input ?

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You may still be able to find 2nd sources for AD639 (http://www.usbid.com/part.cfm/AD639 , search under "locate inventory") You'll need to some research as to reliability of each distributor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just noticed this response today. Thanks for the tip Oua! I've bookmarked USBid for future reference.

For now, I've built an alternative circuit with lower thermal drift and harmonic distortion than the AD639.

I came across some AD639D which I don't need.

4richardnacha said:
I came across some AD639D which I don't need.

Well, this thread is over 3 years old, so they may not need them anymore... :wink:

I've always wanted to get this chip to experiment with an inverse sine but could never get it and forgot about it.

1. What is the purpose of the AD639 Trigonometric Function Converter Chip?

The AD639 Trigonometric Function Converter Chip is a specialized integrated circuit that is used to convert trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, into analog signals for use in electronic devices.

2. Why is the AD639 Trigonometric Function Converter Chip considered obsolete?

The AD639 Trigonometric Function Converter Chip is considered obsolete because it has been replaced by newer, more advanced technology that offers better performance and efficiency.

3. Are there any alternative options for the AD639 Trigonometric Function Converter Chip?

Yes, there are currently several replacement options available for the AD639 Trigonometric Function Converter Chip. These include newer versions of the chip from the same manufacturer, as well as similar chips from other companies.

4. Can the AD639 Trigonometric Function Converter Chip still be used in modern electronic devices?

While the AD639 Trigonometric Function Converter Chip may still function in some modern electronic devices, it is not recommended as it may not offer the same level of performance and efficiency as newer chips.

5. How do I find a suitable replacement for the AD639 Trigonometric Function Converter Chip?

You can consult with a trusted electronics supplier or do research online to find a suitable replacement for the AD639 Trigonometric Function Converter Chip. It is important to consider the specifications and compatibility of the replacement chip before making a purchase.