Deriving the Fourth-Order Adams-Moulton Formula Using Undetermined Coefficients

• Thread starter muso07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary: Once we have found the values of the coefficients, we can substitute them back into the Adams-Moulton formula to obtain the fourth-order formula. In summary, to derive the fourth-order Adams-Moulton formula using the method of undetermined coefficients, we need to set up a system of equations and solve for the coefficients by equating the coefficients of the same power of t. We can then plug in the values of the coefficients into the formula to obtain the final result.
muso07

Homework Statement

Use the method of undetermined coefficients to derive the fourth-order Adams-Moulton formula
xk+1=xk+ (h/24)(9fk+1+19fk-5fk-1+fk-2

Homework Equations

Adams-Moulton: [tex]x_{k+1}=x_{k}+h\Sigma ^{n}_{i=0}\beta_{i}f_{k+1-i}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

It has to be exact for x(t)=1, x(t)=t, x(t)=t2, x(t)=t3

So I have to solve for the coefficients of [tex]x_{k+1}=x_{k}+h(\beta_{0}f_{k+1} + \beta_{1}f_{k} + \beta_{2}f_{k-1} + \beta_{3}f_{k-2})[/tex]

I know I need to set up a system of equations, but I'm confused as to what fk is.. Is it just the derivative of xk?

edit: Nevermind, I figured it out. :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for your post and for using the method of undetermined coefficients to derive the fourth-order Adams-Moulton formula. You are correct in setting up a system of equations to solve for the coefficients. In this case, fk represents the derivative of xk, which can be written as x'(t).

To begin, we can substitute the values given in the problem into the Adams-Moulton formula:
x_{k+1}=x_{k}+h\Sigma ^{n}_{i=0}\beta_{i}f_{k+1-i}
x_{k+1}=x_{k}+h(\beta_{0}f_{k+1} + \beta_{1}f_{k} + \beta_{2}f_{k-1} + \beta_{3}f_{k-2})

We can then plug in the values for xk, xk+1, and fk+1:
x_{k+1}=x_{k}+h(\beta_{0}f_{k+1} + \beta_{1}f_{k} + \beta_{2}f_{k-1} + \beta_{3}f_{k-2})
1 = 1 + h(\beta_{0}f_{k+1} + \beta_{1}f_{k} + \beta_{2}f_{k-1} + \beta_{3}f_{k-2})
t = t + h(\beta_{0}f_{k+1} + \beta_{1}f_{k} + \beta_{2}f_{k-1} + \beta_{3}f_{k-2})
t^2 = t^2 + h(\beta_{0}f_{k+1} + \beta_{1}f_{k} + \beta_{2}f_{k-1} + \beta_{3}f_{k-2})
t^3 = t^3 + h(\beta_{0}f_{k+1} + \beta_{1}f_{k} + \beta_{2}f_{k-1} + \beta_{3}f_{k-2})

We can then solve for the coefficients by equating the coefficients of the same power of t on both sides of the equations. This will give us a system of equations to solve for

1. What is the Adams-Moulton formula?

The Adams-Moulton formula is a numerical method used for solving ordinary differential equations. It is an extension of the more commonly known Adams-Bashforth formula and is based on the idea of using previous function evaluations to predict the next value.

2. How does the Adams-Moulton formula work?

The formula uses a combination of previous function evaluations and an approximation of the derivative at the next time step to predict the next value of the function. This is known as a multi-step method and is more accurate than single-step methods like Euler's method.

3. What are the advantages of using the Adams-Moulton formula?

One advantage is that it is a higher-order method, meaning it can achieve a higher level of accuracy compared to lower-order methods. It also has a larger stability region, which allows for larger time steps and faster convergence. Additionally, it can handle stiff equations, which are difficult to solve with other numerical methods.

4. What are some applications of the Adams-Moulton formula?

The formula is commonly used in mathematical models of physical systems, such as population dynamics, chemical reactions, and climate change. It is also used in engineering applications, such as analyzing the stability of structures or predicting the behavior of electrical circuits.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using the Adams-Moulton formula?

One limitation is that it requires more function evaluations compared to other methods, which can be computationally expensive. Additionally, it may not be as accurate for certain types of differential equations, such as those with rapidly changing solutions. It also requires careful selection of the time step to ensure stability and accuracy.