Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adblock here I come.

1. Apr 16, 2016 #1
    If I use free sites, I should endure their ads. Or so I thought.

Recently the trend is towards ads that play loud music. Enough is enough. Adblock here I come.

Next I'll probably find out Adblock causes cancer or sells my data to the mafia.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2016 #2

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try Ghostery. That way you can whitelist Physics Forums.

4. Apr 16, 2016 #3

1oldman2

Gold Member

That is my plan and it works great. This is one of only a handful of sites I whitelist, it would be great if all websites were modeled after PF in the advertising sense.

5. Apr 16, 2016 #4

1oldman2

Gold Member

Whats your browser of choice? any blocker can seriously degrade the page your viewing depending on how its put together. I stick with FF because of the customization options, If thats not your browser you might consider trying it with Ghostery. :smile: Don has a good point.

6. Apr 16, 2016 #5

Hepth

Gold Member

also, use UBlock Origin, its better than adblock!

7. Apr 16, 2016 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I use Ghostery myself. But the music-autoplaying sites don't bother me because I leave the sound turned off on my computer all the time, except when I specifically need to listen to something. I use the audio/video system in my living room for listening to music.

8. Apr 17, 2016 #7
    Why are these other programs better?

9. Apr 17, 2016 #8

1oldman2

Gold Member

If your referring to the FF add ons like Ghostery, lightbeam and self destructing cookies (I use all three) the main point would be individual customization and user friendly layout. They are very easily fine tuned for each users particular needs and they seem to have very good support.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted