A. The dynamic range of an 8 bit DAC is approximately 48 dB.

• Thread starter engineer23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Adc Bit
In summary, we discussed a problem involving a 4 bit ADC with an input range of -5 to +5 Volts. Through a series of questions, we determined that the ADC has 16 states, with each step representing 0.6667 V. The largest number that can be represented by an 8 bit binary number is 255, which exceeds the capability of a 4 bit ADC. The dynamic range of an 8 bit DAC is 48.13 dB, calculated using the formula 20*log(255). There was some confusion about whether to use 20*log or 10*log, and it was determined that 20*log is the correct choice in this case.
engineer23
Here is my problem:
There is a 4 bit ADC with an input range of -5 to +5 Volts.

I would like someone to check my answers.

Q. How many states does the ADC have?
A. The ADC has 2^4 = 16 states.

Q. What voltage does each step represent?
A. range = 10 V
no. of steps = 16-1 = 15
10/15 = .6667 V

Q. Vout = -5 + (digital count*.6667)
What is the largest number an 8 bit binary number can represent? Determine Vout for
this number. If it does not equal 5V, explain.
A. largest 8 bit binary number can represent is 255
Vout = -5 + (255 *.6667)
Vout = 165 V
largest number 4 bits can represent is 15
255 exceeds capability of 4 bit ADC

Q. What is the dynamic range of an 8 bit DAC in dB?
A. range of 8 bit DAC is 0 to 255
20 log (255) = 48.13 dB

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your answers are all correct. However, make sure your convention for expressing dynamic range really involves 20 log and not 10 log.

- Warren

I'm a little confused on how dynamic range for the DAC is defined. I don't think there was an explicit definition given in class, but I found the log formula in the lab book. Can you shed light on this idea?

Thanks!

The dynamic range is just the ratio of the largest and smallest output signals. Since the ADC has 255 steps, the largest possible output is 255 times larger than the smallest possible non-zero output (code one). When expressed in decibels, this ratio (255:1) is about 24 dB (using 10*log). I don't know why you would be expected to use 20*log.

- Warren

chroot said:
I don't know why you would be expected to use 20*log.

Maybe because it's the ratio of voltages, and not powers. Along the same lines as the gain in a Bode plot.

1. What is a 4 bit ADC and DAC?

A 4 bit ADC (Analog-to-Digital Converter) and DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter) are electronic components used to convert analog signals into digital signals and vice versa. A 4 bit ADC can convert analog signals into 4-bit digital values, while a 4 bit DAC can convert 4-bit digital values into analog signals.

2. How does a 4 bit ADC work?

A 4 bit ADC works by taking an analog signal and sampling it at regular intervals. The analog signal is then compared to a reference voltage and converted into a 4-bit digital value based on the voltage level. This digital value is then sent to a microcontroller or processor for further processing.

3. What are the advantages of using a 4 bit ADC and DAC?

One advantage of using a 4 bit ADC and DAC is that they are relatively simple and inexpensive compared to higher bit versions. They also have a fast conversion time, making them suitable for applications that require real-time data processing.

4. What are the applications of a 4 bit ADC and DAC?

A 4 bit ADC and DAC are commonly used in simple digital systems where high accuracy or resolution is not necessary. They are often found in consumer electronics such as audio players, digital thermometers, and simple control systems.

5. Can a 4 bit ADC and DAC be used together to create a complete system?

Yes, a 4 bit ADC and DAC can be used together to create a simple digital system. The ADC can convert analog signals into digital values, which can then be processed by a microcontroller or processor. The resulting digital signals can then be converted back into analog form by the DAC for output to a device or system.