1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Add the 2 tensions together

1. Apr 25, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Just a quick question, when a single rope has a weight hanging in the middle of it, causing it to form a triangle, and the question asks what the tension in the rope is, do you add the 2 tensions together (if they are the same on both sides) or is the naswer just the one tension?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2007 #2

TOD

I'd look at it like two identical ropes holding onto the weight... So I don't know why it would make sense to add the tensions.

4. Apr 25, 2007 #3
    Ask yourself why would you add the two tensions when you already know what they are.

5. Apr 25, 2007 #4
    Personally, i treat the two tensions as separate as in from hanging from two ropes. Force of habit, but some problems including those ugly pulley probs with mass and especially friction, demand separate consideration. In symmetry situations, I like TODS approach.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?