Add Two Irrational Surds to Get Another Surd

• Thread starter dodo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Irrational
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of surds and their properties, particularly in relation to addition and prime factorization. The question of whether there are any examples of sums of surd ideals is brought up and ultimately dismissed due to the lack of internal laws in multiplication and addition. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement that this topic may not have any practical application.
dodo
Hi,
does somebody know an example of two surds that, added together, give another surd?

By 'surd' I mean here 'irrational surd', as opposed to [itex]\sqrt 4 + \sqrt 9 = \sqrt 25[/itex].

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[itex]\sqrt a + \sqrt a = \sqrt {4a}[/itex]

Cool. I need to be more specific: by 'example', I meant a numerical example. Particular surds, like [itex]\sqrt 3[/itex] or [itex]7 \sqrt 66[/itex]. No unknowns.

Just replace a by any positive real number, and you'll have one...

It is impossible to get such a solution by adding two different surds or you could add the same surd to itself and get a surd as deadwolfe says.

[itex]\sqrt a + \sqrt {4a} = \sqrt {9a}[/itex] also works, so the surds can be different.

We assume all positive integers. This problem is quite solvable using the quadratic equation on: [tex]\sqrt{a}+\sqrt{b}=\sqrt{c} [/tex]

Which yields: [tex]c=(a+b) \pm 2\sqrt{ab}[/tex]

Thus it follows that a and b must have a common factor, and otherwise are squares. The negative sign can not be used.

[tex]a=sm^2, b=sn^2, c=s(m+n)^2.[/tex]

The solution then yields only: [tex]m\sqrt{s}+n\sqrt{s} =(m+n)\sqrt{s} [/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks for all your answers; now I think I can pin down the motivation behind the question. Each irrational surd seems (if I'm not mistaken) to generate an ideal on R. When I google about this (not that I know shrlit), there is something called 'Dedekind domains', on which ideals can be uniquely expressed as a product of 'prime' factors.

So this collection of ideals (plus some 'nice' additions, like 0 and 1) begins to behave, it seems to me, like the ring of integers (note to myself: prove it is a ring). Now, one of the holy grails is to understand the relation between prime factors and addition (given the prime factorization of two integers, what is the prime factorization of their sum? - heavy open problem). And while there are plenty of examples of sums of integers to toy with, I can't find a single example of a sum of 'surd ideals'. Annoying, to say the least.

P.S.: Oh well, neither multiplication is an internal law, nor there are additive inverses. Bummer. It's still annoying.
P.P.S.: What am I saying, even addition is not internal; [itex]\sqrt 2 + \sqrt 3[/itex], if irrational at all, is not a surd, for the reasons in post#7.

Just let it go. I was just wandering about.

Last edited:

What is an irrational surd?

An irrational surd is a number that can't be expressed as a simple fraction (ratio) and has an infinite number of non-repeating decimals.

What is the rule for adding two irrational surds to get another surd?

The rule for adding two irrational surds is to first simplify each surd as much as possible and then add them together. The resulting sum will also be an irrational surd.

Can any two irrational surds be added together to get another surd?

No, not all irrational surds can be added together to get another surd. The two surds must have the same irrational number inside the square root, and the coefficient in front of the square root must also be the same.

What is an example of adding two irrational surds to get another surd?

An example of adding two irrational surds is √2 + √3 = √5. Both surds have the same irrational number inside the square root (2 and 3) and the coefficient in front of the square root is 1 for both surds.

Why is it important to simplify irrational surds before adding them?

Simplifying irrational surds before adding them ensures that the resulting sum is also an irrational surd. It also makes the calculation easier and more manageable.