1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Added surds

1. Jan 26, 2008 #1
    Hi,
    does somebody know an example of two surds that, added together, give another surd?

By 'surd' I mean here 'irrational surd', as opposed to [itex]\sqrt 4 + \sqrt 9 = \sqrt 25[/itex].

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2008 #2
    [itex]\sqrt a + \sqrt a = \sqrt {4a}[/itex]

4. Jan 26, 2008 #3
    Cool. I need to be more specific: by 'example', I meant a numerical example. Particular surds, like [itex]\sqrt 3[/itex] or [itex]7 \sqrt 66[/itex]. No unknowns.

5. Jan 26, 2008 #4
    Just replace a by any positive real number, and you'll have one...

6. Jan 26, 2008 #5
    It is impossible to get such a solution by adding two different surds or you could add the same surd to itself and get a surd as deadwolfe says.

7. Jan 26, 2008 #6
    [itex]\sqrt a + \sqrt {4a} = \sqrt {9a}[/itex] also works, so the surds can be different.

8. Jan 26, 2008 #7
    We assume all positive integers. This problem is quite solvable using the quadratic equation on: [tex]\sqrt{a}+\sqrt{b}=\sqrt{c} [/tex]

Which yields: [tex]c=(a+b) \pm 2\sqrt{ab}[/tex]

Thus it follows that a and b must have a common factor, and otherwise are squares. The negative sign can not be used.

[tex]a=sm^2, b=sn^2, c=s(m+n)^2.[/tex]

The solution then yields only: [tex]m\sqrt{s}+n\sqrt{s} =(m+n)\sqrt{s} [/tex]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  9. Jan 26, 2008 #8
    Thanks for all your answers; now I think I can pin down the motivation behind the question. Each irrational surd seems (if I'm not mistaken) to generate an ideal on R. When I google about this (not that I know shrlit), there is something called 'Dedekind domains', on which ideals can be uniquely expressed as a product of 'prime' factors.

So this collection of ideals (plus some 'nice' additions, like 0 and 1) begins to behave, it seems to me, like the ring of integers (note to myself: prove it is a ring). Now, one of the holy grails is to understand the relation between prime factors and addition (given the prime factorization of two integers, what is the prime factorization of their sum? - heavy open problem). And while there are plenty of examples of sums of integers to toy with, I can't find a single example of a sum of 'surd ideals'. Annoying, to say the least.

P.S.: Oh well, neither multiplication is an internal law, nor there are additive inverses. Bummer. It's still annoying.
    P.P.S.: What am I saying, even addition is not internal; [itex]\sqrt 2 + \sqrt 3[/itex], if irrational at all, is not a surd, for the reasons in post#7.

Just let it go. I was just wandering about.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook