How does the approval process work for publishing articles on Wikipedia?

• Thread starter Sara Abu Omran
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wikipedia
In summary, the assigned homework is to either write a Wikipedia article on a public subject in astronomy or geology in the Arabic language, or to translate a full subject from English to Arabic with proper citation of resources. It is suggested to choose a topic that the student is knowledgeable about, and to follow the guidelines and help pages provided by Wikipedia for writing an article. However, it is also noted that this assignment may go against Wikipedia's policies and may be considered unethical, as it is expected for articles to be written by experts in the field.
Sara Abu Omran
I have a homework to open an account in wekipedia and to write any public subject in astronomy or geology in the Arabic language

Or to translate a full subject from English and of course with writing the resources

Any suggestions ??
I'm new in this web site

Physics news on Phys.org
That is a bad homework, and it suggests the teacher doesn't understand how Wikipedia works either. Wikipedia is a collaborative effort, and some parts are out of your control. Including possible nominations for deletion.
Anyway: Pick a topic you know something about, that makes it much easier. The English Wikipedia has article requests, the Arabic equivalent is ويكيبيديا:مقالات مقترحة. These lists usually contain important topics that don't have articles yet. Alternatively you can pick any article in the English Wikipedia and check if there is an Arabic article for the topic (check the Links at the lower left, that's how I found the Arabic version of the article requests). A translation of an existing article in a different language is easier than writing an article from scratch.

Both the English Wikipedia and the Arabic Wikipedia have help pages how to write an article, the English one has much more about it (as it is much larger).

Likes russ_watters, berkeman, Sara Abu Omran and 1 other person
mfb said:
That is a bad homework, and it suggests the teacher doesn't understand how Wikipedia works either. Wikipedia is a collaborative effort, and some parts are out of your control. Including possible nominations for deletion.
Anyway: Pick a topic you know something about, that makes it much easier. The English Wikipedia has article requests, the Arabic equivalent is ويكيبيديا:مقالات مقترحة. These lists usually contain important topics that don't have articles yet. Alternatively you can pick any article in the English Wikipedia and check if there is an Arabic article for the topic (check the Links at the lower left, that's how I found the Arabic version of the article requests). A translation of an existing article in a different language is easier than writing an article from scratch.

Both the English Wikipedia and the Arabic Wikipedia have help pages how to write an article, the English one has much more about it (as it is much larger).
Thank you for everything but I don't understand why do you think it's a bad homework !
My doctor is collaborating with one of the wekipedia's mangers in the area so he could choose some subjects of what we will write then publish them

What course and level of schooling is this for?

russ_watters said:
What course and level of schooling is this for?
I
It's in The Basics of Astronomy course , I'm in my first year of studying Geology

Last edited by a moderator:
Sara Abu Omran said:
I have a homework to open an account in wekipedia and to write any public subject in astronomy or geology in the Arabic language

Or to translate a full subject from English and of course with writing the resources

Any suggestions ??
I'm new in this web site
The first option is unethical but the second option is reasonable.

Likes berkeman and russ_watters
symbolipoint said:
The first option is unethical...
So, right; what I was getting at with my question is that wiki pages are supposed to be written by people with expertise in the subjects. For scientific topics, that means phd or equivalent professional. As a non-contributing reader, I consider this assigmnent to essentially be vandalism.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vandalism_on_Wikipedia

Likes nitsuj and berkeman
russ_watters said:
So, right; what I was getting at with my question is that wiki pages are supposed to be written by people with expertise in the subjects. For scientific topics, that means phd or equivalent professional. As a non-contributing reader, I consider this assigmnent to essentially be vandalism.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vandalism_on_Wikipedia
You are right but the thing is we are not trying to write any thing ..
It's all about collecting different informations about a scientific subject with their different resources in one place

Sara Abu Omran said:

Any suggestions ??
I'm new in this web site
Sara Abu Omran said:
You are right but the thing is we are not trying to write any thing ..
It's all about collecting different informations about a scientific subject with their different resources in one place
You stated what your assignment is; and the assignment either does require writing a wikipedia article or it does not require writing a wikipedia article. Your first posting on this topic was that the assignment is to either write a wikipedia article, OR to translate an existing article into another language. One must know precisely what ones assigned work is. A beginner student in a scientific area is not yet qualified to write a scientific article on Wikipedia, but as long as language skills are adequate, one could write a translation of an article into another language.

To now say, "we are not trying to write any thing", contradicts what you first described of your assignment. No use in creating a wikipedia account, but although being ASSIGNED TO DO SO for the intent to WRITE an article, to then not try to write an article.

Likes russ_watters
symbolipoint said:
You stated what your assignment is; and the assignment either does require writing a wikipedia article or it does not require writing a wikipedia article. Your first posting on this topic was that the assignment is to either write a wikipedia article, OR to translate an existing article into another language. One must know precisely what ones assigned work is. A beginner student in a scientific area is not yet qualified to write a scientific article on Wikipedia, but as long as language skills are adequate, one could write a translation of an article into another language.

To now say, "we are not trying to write any thing", contradicts what you first described of your assignment. No use in creating a wikipedia account, but although being ASSIGNED TO DO SO for the intent to WRITE an article, to then not try to write an article.
OKK I'M SORRY FOR THE CONTRADICTORY I HAVE WRITTEN.
And i will do my best to write better next time

Darn it! I was about to link this thread as another evidence on why you should not use Wikipedia as your primary source of information. Now it is all ruined!

:biggrin:o0)

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Darn it! I was about to link this thread as another evidence on why you should not use Wikipedia as your primary source of information. Now it is all ruined!

:biggrin:o0)

Zz.
A YouTube video had presented a statement that the so-called approval process to actually publish a created article onto Wikipedia can take weeks or months. I do not know if true or not, but this would seem to be a big disadvantage to publishing on Wikipedia any created article. There is also the problem described ON Wikipedia and in other places, about members , ANY members, being able and actually changing in some disruptive ways, the wikipedia articles which the original author had created; and other members reverting an article contrary again to the original creater-author. Now, to remind, the mention of "vandalism" which russ_waters discussed.

symbolipoint said:
A YouTube video had presented a statement that the so-called approval process to actually publish a created article onto Wikipedia can take weeks or months.
As general statement this is wrong.
The English Wikipedia has a mandatory approval process for unregistered and very new* users: They can write drafts which are kept separate from regular articles until an experience editor reviewed them. For everyone else this process is optional, they can also directly create a new article.
Everything you write on Wikipedia is publicly visible (unless the whole page gets deleted), a draft could be shown to the teacher as well even before approval.

*account less than 4 days old or fewer than 10 edits, a very weak threshold.

As far as I can see the Arabic Wikipedia doesn't have such a system - everyone can just create articles directly even without an account.
symbolipoint said:
There is also the problem described ON Wikipedia and in other places, about members , ANY members, being able and actually changing in some disruptive ways
Older versions are visible in the version history. Link to a specific version, not to the article.

-----

While it is better if articles are written by the world-class experts in the field this is not necessary. You can find and review the sources and write an article based on them. It won't be the best possible article, but see post 2: That's not how Wikipedia works. It is perfectly fine to start an article small and to have it built up by many editors over time. Nearly no article starts in a version where it would receive good ratings.

What is the process for adding a subject to Wikipedia?

The process for adding a subject to Wikipedia involves creating a new article or editing an existing one. First, you must create an account and log in. Then, you can begin writing your article using reliable sources and following Wikipedia's guidelines. Once complete, you can submit your article for review by other editors.

What qualifications or credentials do I need to add a subject to Wikipedia?

There are no specific qualifications or credentials required to add a subject to Wikipedia. However, it is important to have a thorough understanding of the topic and the ability to write in an encyclopedic style. Additionally, it is recommended to have experience editing on Wikipedia and a familiarity with its policies and guidelines.

Do I need permission from someone to add a subject to Wikipedia?

No, you do not need permission from anyone to add a subject to Wikipedia. However, it is important to ensure that the subject is notable and has reliable sources to support its inclusion on the site. If you are writing about a living person, it is also recommended to follow Wikipedia's guidelines for biographies of living persons.

How long does it take for a subject to be added to Wikipedia?

The length of time it takes for a subject to be added to Wikipedia can vary. Once you have submitted your article for review, it may take a few hours to a few days for other editors to review it and provide feedback. If there are significant issues with the article, it may take longer to be approved for publication. It is also important to note that Wikipedia is a collaborative site, so other editors may make changes or additions to your article before it is published.

What should I do if my subject is already on Wikipedia but needs to be updated?

If your subject is already on Wikipedia but needs to be updated, you can edit the existing article to add new information or make corrections. It is important to use reliable sources and follow Wikipedia's guidelines when making these updates. If you are unsure of how to properly update the article, you can also reach out to other editors for assistance on the article's talk page.