Exploring Effects of Adding Derivatives to Lagrangian on Hamiltonian Eqns.

In summary: Generalized_coordinates#Canonical_transformationand in Goldstein’s book, which is still the best in my opinion.In summary, the total time derivative of a function of q_i and t can be added to the Lagrangian without changing the equations of motion. This addition affects the canonical momenta and the Hamiltonian, and the equations of motion in terms of the new Hamiltonian reduce to the original Hamilton's equations of motion. However, when taking partial derivatives, it is important to keep all other variables constant. This process is known as a canonical transformation of phase space coordinates.
barek

Homework Statement

This is derivation 2 from chapter 8 of Goldstein:

It has been previously noted that the total time derivative of a function of ## q_i## and ## t ## can be added to the Lagrangian without changing the equations of motion. What does such an addition do to the canonical momenta and the Hamiltonian? Show that the equations of motion in terms of the new Hamiltonian reduce to the original Hamilton's equations of motion.

Homework Equations

Euler-Lagrange equations:
$$ \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} {t}} \Big(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}_i}\Big) = \frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i}$$
Hamilton's equations:
$$ \frac{\partial H}{\partial p_i} = \dot{q}_i$$
$$\frac{\partial H}{\partial q_i} = -\dot{p}_i$$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Let $$L' = L + \frac{\mathrm{d} F}{\mathrm{d} t} $$ where ## F = F(\vec{q}, t)##
$$ L' = L + \frac{\partial F}{\partial q_k} \dot{q}_k + \frac{\partial F}{\partial t}$$
$$p_i' = \frac{\partial L'}{\partial \dot{q}_i} = p_i + \frac{\partial F}{\partial q_i}$$
$$ H' = p'_i \dot{q}_i - L' = p_i \dot{q}_i - L - \frac{\partial F}{\partial t} = H - \frac{\partial F}{\partial t} $$
$$ \frac{\partial H'}{\partial p_j '} = \frac{\partial H'}{\partial p_k}\frac{\partial p_k}{\partial p_j'} = \frac{\partial H}{\partial p_j} = \dot{q}_j$$
$$\frac{\partial H'}{\partial q_j} = \frac{\partial H}{\partial q_j} - \frac{\partial ^2 F}{\partial q_j \partial t} = -\dot{p}_j - \frac{\partial ^2 F}{\partial q_j \partial t}$$
But
$$\dot{p}'_j = \dot{p}_j + \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \Big( \frac{\partial F}{\partial q_j} \Big) = \dot{p}_j + \frac{\partial ^2 F}{\partial q_j \partial t} + \frac{\partial ^2 F}{\partial q_i \partial q_k} \dot{q}_k$$
so $$ \frac{\partial H'}{\partial q_j} \neq -\dot{p}'_j $$
I feel like I am making a simple mistake here but I cannot spot it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Barek

Physics news on Phys.org
barek said:
$$\frac{\partial H'}{\partial q_j} = \frac{\partial H}{\partial q_j} - \frac{\partial ^2 F}{\partial q_j \partial t} = -\dot{p}_j - \frac{\partial ^2 F}{\partial q_j \partial t}$$
On the left side, you want to consider the partial with respect to ##q_j## while keeping all of the ##p'_k##'s and ##t## constant. So, the partials with respect to ##q_j## on the right side would also be keeping the ##p'_k##'s and ##t## constant. That is, you have
$$\frac{\partial H'}{\partial q_j}|_{p'_k, t} = \frac{\partial H}{\partial q_j}|_{p'_k, t} - \frac{\partial ^2 F}{\partial q_j \partial t} $$ Note that the first term on the right is not equal to ##-\dot{p}_j ##.

Likes SolarisOne, topsquark, barek and 1 other person
TSny said:
On the left side, you want to consider the partial with respect to ##q_j## while keeping all of the ##p'_k##'s and ##t## constant. So, the partials with respect to ##q_j## on the right side would also be keeping the ##p'_k##'s and ##t## constant. That is, you have
$$\frac{\partial H'}{\partial q_j}|_{p'_k, t} = \frac{\partial H}{\partial q_j}|_{p'_k, t} - \frac{\partial ^2 F}{\partial q_j \partial t} $$ Note that the first term on the right is not equal to ##-\dot{p}_j ##.
This is actually a common issue in many fields, in particular in thermodynamics with state variables, where one calls coordinates in different systems on the same manifold the same thing just because they share coordinate functions and therefore has to specify what is to be considered constant in the partial derivative. It bugged me out to no end as a freshman. Personally, I would instead write down the full coordinate transformation on phase space as ##q_i' = q_i## and ##p_i' = \partial L'/\partial q_i'##.

Likes SolarisOne, topsquark, barek and 2 others
TSny said:

That's what it was! It all works now, thank you!

Orodruin said:
Personally, I would instead write down the full coordinate transformation on phase space as ##q_i' = q_i## and ##p_i' = \partial L'/\partial q_i'##.

Thanks! That really helped. We have thermodynamics next year so I'll try not to make the same mistake again!

What's the physical meaning of adding the derivative of a function to the Lagrangian and to the Hamiltonian?

SaintRodriguez said:
What's the physical meaning of adding the derivative of a function to the Lagrangian and to the Hamiltonian?
It has to do with “canonical transformations” of phase space coordinates.

The idea is you can derive new equations of motion using new variables. But they are ultimately the same.

7884B15B-44E2-4CC1-8B39-9EF6090AC027.png

PhDeezNutz said:
It has to do with “canonical transformations” of phase space coordinates.

The idea is you can derive new equations of motion using new variables. But they are ultimately the same.

Correct. Quite interestingly, while the issue seems clear to me, there is some confusion in the literature about it. I think the correct approach is given here
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1409.0692.pdf

Likes dextercioby, vanhees71 and PhDeezNutz

1. What is a Lagrangian?

A Lagrangian is a mathematical function used in classical mechanics to describe the dynamics of a physical system. It takes into account the kinetic and potential energies of the system and is used to derive the equations of motion.

2. How are derivatives added to a Lagrangian?

Derivatives can be added to a Lagrangian by taking the partial derivative of the Lagrangian with respect to a relevant variable. This allows for the inclusion of time-dependent terms in the Lagrangian, making it more versatile in describing dynamic systems.

3. What is the Hamiltonian equation?

The Hamiltonian equation is a set of equations that describe the evolution of a physical system over time. It is derived from the Lagrangian and takes into account the momenta of the system's particles in addition to their positions and velocities.

4. What are the effects of adding derivatives to a Lagrangian on the Hamiltonian equations?

Adding derivatives to a Lagrangian can lead to more accurate and comprehensive Hamiltonian equations that better describe the dynamics of a system. This can also result in the inclusion of additional forces or constraints that were not originally accounted for in the simpler Lagrangian.

5. What are some practical applications of exploring the effects of adding derivatives to Lagrangian on Hamiltonian equations?

Exploring these effects can have various practical applications, such as in the study of complex systems in physics and engineering, or in the development of more accurate mathematical models for predicting and controlling the behavior of physical systems. It can also lead to a better understanding of how different forces and constraints interact in dynamic systems.