Adding Fractions: Solve x/y + y/x = x^2 + y^2/xy

• Thread starter aerf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fractions
In summary, the conversation is discussing the equation x/y + y/x = x^2 + y^2/xy and trying to understand why it is true. The conversation also mentions applying the concept of adding fractions with common denominators to solve the equation and how this can be related to the problem at hand.
aerf
Just stumbled upon something and I've never been taught it before and cannot see why its true... Hoping someone can help

x/y + y/x = x^2 + y^2/xy

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you mean x/y+y/x=(x^2+y^2)/xy
Because your original equality is false

aerf said:
Just stumbled upon something and I've never been taught it before and cannot see why its true... Hoping someone can help

x/y + y/x = x^2 + y^2/xy

Thanks

Clearly you implied (x2+y2)/xy as opposed to x2+(y2/xy) and to see why this is true, do you know how to add fractions such as 1/2+2/3?

Mentallic said:
Clearly you implied (x2+y2)/xy as opposed to x2+(y2/xy) and to see why this is true, do you know how to add fractions such as 1/2+2/3?

Yeah I just forgot my brackets... It came when simplifying this trigonometric equation and just changed from the one form to the other and I got so confused so I looked at what happened and came to that equation, yes but I'd only make the denominators 6 and then add the numerators.

6 = 2*3 isn't it? And with any fraction of the form [tex]\frac{x}{y}[/tex] it is also equivalent to [tex]\frac{ax}{ay}[/tex] for any a (assuming the values aren't equal to 0), and the only way you can add fractions is if their denominators are equal.

So, what did you do to 1/2+2/3 to solve it, and how can you apply that to your original question?

1. What is the first step in solving this equation?

The first step in solving this equation is to find a common denominator for the fractions on both sides of the equation. This will make it easier to combine the fractions and solve for the value of x and y.

2. How do I find a common denominator?

To find a common denominator, you need to identify the lowest common multiple (LCM) of the denominators in the fractions. Then, you can rewrite the fractions using the LCM as the new denominator.

3. Can I solve this equation using cross multiplication?

Yes, you can use cross multiplication to solve this equation. However, it is usually easier to find a common denominator and combine the fractions first.

4. What should I do if the resulting equation has a quadratic term?

If the resulting equation has a quadratic term, you will need to use the quadratic formula or factoring to solve for the values of x and y. You may also need to check for extraneous solutions, which are values that make the original equation undefined.

5. Can this equation have more than one solution?

Yes, it is possible for this equation to have multiple solutions. This is because fractions can have infinite equivalent forms, so there may be more than one set of values for x and y that satisfy the equation.