1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adding Fractions

1. Sep 10, 2012 #1
    Just stumbled upon something and I've never been taught it before and cannot see why its true... Hoping someone can help

x/y + y/x = x^2 + y^2/xy

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2012 #2
    Do you mean x/y+y/x=(x^2+y^2)/xy
    Because your original equality is false

4. Sep 10, 2012 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Clearly you implied (x2+y2)/xy as opposed to x2+(y2/xy) and to see why this is true, do you know how to add fractions such as 1/2+2/3?

5. Sep 10, 2012 #4
    Yeah I just forgot my brackets... It came when simplifying this trigonometric equation and just changed from the one form to the other and I got so confused so I looked at what happened and came to that equation, yes but I'd only make the denominators 6 and then add the numerators.

6. Sep 10, 2012 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

6 = 2*3 isn't it? And with any fraction of the form [tex]\frac{x}{y}[/tex] it is also equivalent to [tex]\frac{ax}{ay}[/tex] for any a (assuming the values aren't equal to 0), and the only way you can add fractions is if their denominators are equal.

So, what did you do to 1/2+2/3 to solve it, and how can you apply that to your original question?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook