1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Adding fractions

Tags:
  1. Jul 20, 2016 #1
    (k / 2k + 1) + (1 / (2k)(2k+2)) = ((k+1) / (2k+2))

I would like to simplify the left side to prove that these two statements are equal. I'm not sure how to do this. Surely I can't find a common denominator with such complex variables and such? What is a good approach?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

##\frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{8} = \frac{2}{4}## ? (##k = 1##)

4. Jul 20, 2016 #3

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

A good first step would be to explain what (k / 2k + 1) is supposed to mean.

Is it supposed to denote ##\frac{k}{2k + 1}## or is it supposed to denote ##\frac{k}{2k} + 1## ? The latter is what it does denote according to the PEMDAS rules.

5. Jul 20, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

It is unclear how to interpret your fractions.
    (k / 2k + 1) = k / (2k + 1)? Probably what you meant.
    (k / 2k + 1) = (k / (2k)) + 1? More logical given the usual operator order (multiplication/division before addition)
    (k / 2k + 1) = (k / 2)k + 1 = (k2/2) + 1? That's how a computer would interpret it.

Same thing for (1 / (2k)(2k+2)).
    You can always find a common denominator. Worst case: take the product of all involved denominators, that always works.

6. Jul 20, 2016 #5
    Sorry, its (k / (2k + 1)) + (1 / ((2k)(2k+2))

7. Jul 20, 2016 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Then it is not true in general, see post #2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted