How to Write Net Ionic Equations for Dissolution Reactions

• Thread starter yellowduck
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ionic Net
In summary, the conversation discusses writing net ionic equations for the dissolution of solid NaOH in water and the reaction between aqueous solutions of NaOH and HCl. The final equation for the reaction between solid NaOH and HCl solution is NaOH (s) + H+ (aq) --> Na+ (aq) + H2O (l). It is important to include all substances, even solid ones, in the net ionic equation.
yellowduck
This should be easy but I feel there is something I am mission

I need to write the net ionic equations and then add #1 & #2 and compare to #3.

Equation #1 - write net ionic equation for dissolution of solid NaOH in water
Equation: NaOH (s) + H2O --> Na+ (aq) + OH- (aq) + H2O (l)
Net: NaOH (s) --> Na+ (aq) + OH- (aq)
(it says in the book to separate strong bases such as NaOH but if I do all ions cancel out?)

Equation #2 - write net ionic equation for aqueous soloutions of NaOH & HCl
Equation: NaOH (aq) + HCl (aq) ---> NaCl (aq) + H2O (l)
Net: OH- (aq) + H+ (aq) --> H2O (l)

Equation 3: Solid NaOH and aqueous HCl
Equation: NaOH (s) + HCl (aq) ---> NaCl (aq) + H2O
OH- (s) + H+ (aq) --> H2O (l)

Add #1 & #2
This is where I get lost. I think it should be net equation #2. The difference is in the solid/aqueous state.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Add #1 to #2.

[tex]NaOH \text{(s)} + OH^- \text{(aq)} + H^+ \text{(aq)} \longrightarrow Na^+ \text{(aq)} + OH^- \text{(aq)} + H_2O \text{(l)}[/tex]

2. Delete the common compounds on both members of the equation.

[tex]NaOH \text{(s)} + H^+ \text{(aq)} \longrightarrow Na^+ \text{(aq)} + H_2O \text{(l)}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible that I have equation #3 wrong.
Should the net ionic equation look like your final answer above?

yellowduck said:
Is it possible that I have equation #3 wrong.
Should the net ionic equation look like your final answer above?

You have #3 correct, I think.

:approve: :wink:

Solid NaOH in HCl-solution. The HCl-solution contains [tex]H^{+}[/tex] and [tex]Cl^{-}[/tex] but the solid is just NAOH. So the reaction at 3 should be:

[tex]NaOH(s) + H^{+} \rightarrow Na^{+} + H_{2}O[/tex]

So if it states solid, then you must write out the entire formula even in the net ionic equation (because it is infered that the solid is not dissolved in the solution)?

1. What is a net ionic equation?

A net ionic equation is a chemical equation that only shows the species that are involved in a chemical reaction. It excludes spectator ions, which are ions that do not participate in the reaction and remain unchanged.

2. How do you determine the net ionic equation?

To determine the net ionic equation, first write out the balanced molecular equation for the reaction. Then, identify the spectator ions and cross them out. The remaining species are the ones involved in the net ionic equation.

3. Why is it important to write net ionic equations?

Net ionic equations allow us to focus on the actual chemical reaction taking place, without being distracted by unimportant spectator ions. They also help us to better understand the stoichiometry of the reaction.

4. Can net ionic equations be used for all types of chemical reactions?

No, net ionic equations are only applicable for reactions that take place in aqueous solutions. They cannot be used for reactions that occur in the gas or solid phase.

5. What is the difference between a net ionic equation and a complete ionic equation?

A complete ionic equation includes all of the individual ions present in a reaction, while a net ionic equation only includes the ions that are directly involved in the reaction. In other words, the complete ionic equation shows all of the species present, while the net ionic equation focuses on the essential components of the reaction.