Adding Scalar Multiples of Vectors in a Graph

In summary, Homework Equations and attempting to solve them can be difficult. The Attempt at a Solution provides a step-by-step guide on how to complete the equations, but it's important to be aware that it might not be correct.
Paymemoney

Homework Statement

Draw the vector [tex]\vec{C} = \vec{A}+2\vec{B}[/tex]
vectorquestion.JPG

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what i have i don't know if it is correct
vectorquestion1.JPG

P.S

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Paymemoney! :smile:

No, that's not right.

When adding vectors, go to the end of the first vector, then tack on the second vector. :wink:

ok so is this what it should look like:
vectorquestio2.JPG

Why have you bent it??

Put it back and start again!

(if it's broken, you'll have to pay for it :frown:)

how i do this without bending it? So is it only meant to go horizontally?

Paymemoney said:
how i do this without bending it? So is it only meant to go horizontally?

Yes, of course. And to the left.

so would this be correct.
vectorquestion3.JPG

does it matter where you place the vector, because when i placed it in the middle it was incorrect??

vectorquestion4.JPG

Hi Paymemoney! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
Paymemoney said:
so would this be correct.

Nooo …

I think I need to give you the answer:

To add two vectors, you must place the "tail" of the second vector against the "head" of the first vector: the sum is then the vector to that point (from where you started).​

(or the other way round, of course: place the "tail" of the first vector against the "head" of the second vector: it makes no difference)

So in this case, you draw A which is an arrow going 4 to the right, then you draw B which is an arrow going 2 to the left, and you draw that 2 starting at the end of the 4, so you end up with an everall vector of A + 2B being 2 to the right.

(this is just like adding vectors to make a triangle, except that in this case the triangle is flat :wink:)

tiny-tim said:
So in this case, you draw A which is an arrow going 4 to the right, then you draw B which is an arrow going 2 to the left, and you draw that 2 starting at the end of the 4, so you end up with an everall vector of A + 2B being 2 to the right.
ok, this is what i got from your explanation, so just to make sure i have interpreted your explanation correctly here it is again(hopefully correct -_-).
vectorquestion5.JPG

tiny-tim said:
(this is just like adding vectors to make a triangle, except that in this case the triangle is flat :wink:)

yeh, I'm used to looking at the full triangle.

Paymemoney said:
ok, this is what i got from your explanation, so just to make sure i have interpreted your explanation correctly here it is again(hopefully correct -_-).

I don't understand what you've done here. :confused:

Start on the axis, draw a blue line for A, then from the end of that draw a red line for 2B. Now draw a green line from the axis to the end of the red line (as if you were completing a triangle).

ok here it is

vectorquestion5.JPG

why don't you draw it for me coz i don't think I'm getting anyway.

after thinking more about it, i have come to a conclusion that this may be the answer but I'm not sure:

vectorquestion6.JPG

No, not right. A is 4 units long and points to the right. B is 1 unit long and points to the left. 2B is 2 units long and points to the left.

For the sum A + 2B, start at 0, go 4 units to the right. Now tack 2B on. Where do you end up? The vector from 0 to where you ended up is A + 2B.

Since all vectors involved here are horizontal, the sum will be a horizontal vector: one that points either to the right or to the left.

What do you mean by "Now tack 2B on"?

2B or not 2B ?

Paymemoney said:
What do you mean by "Now tack 2B on"?

Mark44 :smile: means "tail to head" (as I also explained in post #8)

ok, i had another go at it, and this is what i got:

vectorquestion7.JPG

Last edited:
We're 16 posts into this thread, and you still aren't getting it. Why do you have two diagrams? Are we supposed to pick one?

In the right diagram, the resultant (black) vector starts at the right place, but it's too short. In the left diagram, the resultant vector is the right length, but it starts at the wrong place.

well i finally got the answer =___=, yeh it took me awhile because i didn't read the answer you gave me correctly. thanks for the help anyways.

1. What is a scalar multiple of a vector?

A scalar multiple of a vector is a vector that has been multiplied by a constant, also known as a scalar. This constant can be any number, positive or negative, and results in a vector that is either longer or shorter, but still in the same direction as the original vector.

2. How do you add scalar multiples of vectors in a graph?

To add scalar multiples of vectors in a graph, you first need to plot the original vector. Then, multiply the vector by the scalar, and plot the resulting vector using the same starting point as the original. The resulting vector will be parallel to the original, but either longer or shorter depending on the value of the scalar.

3. What happens when you add a negative scalar multiple of a vector?

When you add a negative scalar multiple of a vector, the resulting vector will be in the opposite direction of the original vector. This is because multiplying a vector by a negative number essentially flips the direction of the vector.

4. Can you add scalar multiples of vectors that are not in the same direction?

No, scalar multiples can only be added if the vectors are parallel. If the vectors are not in the same direction, you will need to use vector addition instead of scalar multiplication.

5. What is the purpose of adding scalar multiples of vectors in a graph?

Adding scalar multiples of vectors in a graph allows you to manipulate the length and direction of a vector. This can be useful in various applications, such as physics and engineering, where vectors are used to represent forces and motion.