Adding Up Resistors: Order of Operations Explained

• Thread starter prettykitty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistors
In summary, the conversation discusses the incorrect assumption that the 13 ohm and 24 ohm resistors were in parallel and the correct sequence of steps for solving the circuit. The person's thinking originally went wrong by violating the definition of "in parallel" and the top resistor and 13 ohm resistor are actually "in series". The conversation also touches on the importance of understanding the definition and order of operations for circuits.
prettykitty
I have added an attachment of the circuit for clarity.

I initially began by assuming that the 13 ohm and 24 ohm resistors were in parallel and I got the Req for them. Then since the top resistor seemed to be in series with them I added its value. This is wrong of course, the correct sequence of steps is:

Treat the top resistor and the 13 ohm resistor as as if they are in series. Then with the attained Req add the 24 ohm resistor using the correct math for parallel resistors.

Where did my thinking originally go wrong?
My guess is that it has something to do with some sort of "order of operations" for circuits. Can that be clarified please?

Attachments

• circuit.png
    circuit.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 402
Physics news on Phys.org
The 13-ohm and 24-ohm are simply, definitionally, not in parallel.

Yes great, I knew that already.
Can you be a little more helpful and explain why?
Statements of fact are of little help.

Sorry, I was just pointing out where your thinking originally went wrong:wink:.

By definitionally, I mean that thinking that the resistors (13 and 24-ohm) are in parallel violates the definition of "in parallel", which is: two elements are considered "in parallel" if they share common starting and ending nodes, which those two elements do not.

The top resistor and the 13-ohm are definitionally "in series" (connected end-to-end with no branching node in between).

Hey no problem, thanks a bunch!

What is the purpose of adding up resistors?

The purpose of adding up resistors is to determine the total resistance in a circuit. This allows for the calculation of current and voltage in the circuit, which are important for understanding the behavior of the circuit and designing it for specific purposes.

What is the order of operations when adding up resistors?

The order of operations when adding up resistors is to first combine resistors in series, and then combine resistors in parallel. This ensures that the final resistance is accurate and takes into account the different configurations of resistors in the circuit.

How do I calculate the total resistance when resistors are in series?

To calculate the total resistance when resistors are in series, simply add up the resistance values of each individual resistor. The total resistance will be equal to the sum of all the individual resistances.

How do I calculate the total resistance when resistors are in parallel?

When resistors are in parallel, the total resistance is calculated using the reciprocal formula: 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn, where R1, R2, etc. are the individual resistance values. Once the sum of the reciprocals is calculated, take the reciprocal of that value to find the total resistance.

What happens to the total resistance when resistors are added in series or parallel?

When resistors are added in series, the total resistance increases. When resistors are added in parallel, the total resistance decreases. This is due to the different ways in which resistors in series and parallel affect the flow of current in a circuit.