Calculating Resultant Vector with Given Angle and Magnitudes?

In summary, the problem was that B was different from A, and because of that, the equation was not able to be solved.
Pao44445

Homework Statement

find the scale of R and angle

Homework Equations

Vector A = 100
Vector B = 200

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I need to find the answer of this equation "R = A+B" but I can't find Bx and By because of the angle
Untitled.png

Vectors.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pao44445 said:
but I can't find Bx and By because of the angle
Why not?

Don't understand your problem just apply magnitude of B x sine or cosine of the angle?

I am not good at trigonometry :/ Does Bx=200cos240?

Pao44445 said:
I am not good at trigonometry :/ Does Bx=200cos240?

Yes, but you should work on your trig skills. Maybe it would be easier for you to think about it as a 60 degree angle in the third quadrant, which is negative for both sine and cosine.

When you resolve a vector into it components you may position its tail at the origin of the coordinate system or alternatively place a x-y coordinate system at is tail.

Doc Al said:
Why not?
because he/she does not know how?
any help?

lychette said:
because he/she does not know how?
any help?
I wanted the OP to say what was different about B that led to a problem. (Supposedly vector A did not present a problem, but B did.)

In any case, the question was answered.

no harm done

Pao44445 said:

Homework Statement

find the scale of R and angle

Homework Equations

Vector A = 100
Vector B = 200

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I need to find the answer of this equation "R = A+B" but I can't find Bx and By because of the angle
Untitled.png
i wanted to tell you you said we will not need by and bx but when angle is given of 2 vector we will need bx and by by that only i will be able to calculate components of x and y vector and add them and find resultant

1. How do you add vectors numerically?

To add vectors numerically, you need to first identify the magnitude and direction of each vector. Then, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the resulting vector's magnitude, and trigonometric functions to find its direction.

2. What are the steps for adding vectors numerically?

The steps for adding vectors numerically are as follows: 1) Draw the vectors on a coordinate system, 2) Identify the magnitude and direction of each vector, 3) Use the Pythagorean theorem to find the resulting vector's magnitude, and 4) Use trigonometric functions to find the resulting vector's direction.

3. Can you add vectors with different dimensions numerically?

No, vectors with different dimensions cannot be added numerically. Vectors must have the same dimensions (e.g. both in 2D or both in 3D) in order to be added numerically.

4. Is it possible to add more than two vectors numerically?

Yes, it is possible to add more than two vectors numerically. You can add multiple vectors by finding the resultant vector of the first two, and then adding the third vector to the resultant, and so on.

5. What is the difference between adding vectors algebraically and numerically?

Adding vectors algebraically involves using the properties of vectors (e.g. commutative and associative properties) to manipulate the vectors and find the resultant. Adding vectors numerically involves finding the magnitude and direction of each vector and using mathematical operations to find the resultant vector.