Vector Addition: Components with Given Directions and Magnitudes

• Thread starter aatari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving components and determining the sum of two vectors. One person shares their solution and asks for feedback, while the other person agrees that it looks good but suggests being consistent with significant figures for accuracy.
aatari

Homework Statement

Hi, can you guys please see if my solution is correct. Any feedback would be awesome.

Using components determine the sum of a + b if a = 3 m [N 30° W] and b = 2 m [N 10° E].

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Capture.PNG

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good!

Likes aatari
I agree that it looks good, but I got a slightly different answer than you for the magnitude (not the 3.00 that you got). Try again, and be consistent with the number of significant figures you carry along. I like to do it with the same numbers carried along in my calculator for the full calculation, instead of writing them down and then using the rounded-off numbers that I've written down for the next part of the calculation... :smile:

Likes aatari
berkeman said:
(not the 3.00 that you got)
Rounded to 2 sig figs, I get the answer posted by aatari. :wink:

True, and I guess in fairness the problem statement only had 1 significant figure for the magnitudes in the problem statement (at least if the OP copied the problem exactly)... :smile:

What is the problem statement for "Adding Vectors: Problem 2"?

The problem statement for "Adding Vectors: Problem 2" is to find the resultant of two vectors, given their magnitudes and directions.

What is the formula for adding two vectors?

The formula for adding two vectors is: R = A + B, where R is the resultant vector and A and B are the two vectors being added.

How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is found using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components.

What is the difference between adding vectors graphically and algebraically?

Adding vectors graphically involves drawing the vectors on a coordinate system and using the parallelogram method to find the resultant. Adding vectors algebraically involves using their components to find the resultant vector using the formula R = A + B.

Can vectors be added in any order?

Yes, vectors can be added in any order because vector addition is commutative, meaning the order of the vectors does not affect the result. However, it is important to make sure the directions and magnitudes of the vectors are correctly accounted for when adding them.