Solving Vector Measurement Concerns in Lab

In summary, the conversation is about a student's concern regarding the calculation of X and Y values in a lab exercise involving vectors. The student has noticed a large percentage error when following the book's method and has found that their own method produces a result closer to the measured value. They are seeking clarification on what they may be doing wrong and appreciate any assistance.
Agent
http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/5171/phwq5.jpg Hello there. In lab, we measured vectors. I'm having a little concern on how to get X and Y. If I follow the books method, R_calc comes out too small compare to measure R. (Big % error).

X:
15.5+12.4cos37 = 25.4
Y:
0+9.3sin37 = 5.4
R:
square root of (25.4^2+5.4^2) = 26cmIf I do it my way, R is a lot closer to measure.

X:
15.3+12.4= 27.9cm
Y:
0 + 9.3 = 9.3 cm
R:
square root of (27.9^2+9.3^2) = 29.4 cmThe measurements (x1/2; y1/2; R m) are pretty accurate. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
OK, I will try to point out a couple of things:

Agent said:
http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/5171/phwq5.jpg

Hello there. In lab, we measured vectors. I'm having a little concern on how to get X and Y. If I follow the books method, R_calc comes out too small compare to measure R. (Big % error).

X:
15.5+12.4cos37 = 25.4
I'm not sure I understand what you are attempting, but as I see it your x value is not correct. R is made up of x1 and b in this case. You need to find b, to solve it this way. So use trig to find b instead of x2. But it isn't a right triangle, so the resultant is a little more difficult to solve for.Y:
0+9.3sin37 = 5.4
R:
square root of (25.4^2+5.4^2) = 26cm

This is correct:If I do it my way, R is a lot closer to measure.

X:
15.3+12.4= 27.9cm
Y:
0 + 9.3 = 9.3 cm
R:
square root of (27.9^2+9.3^2) = 29.4 cm

The measurements (x1/2; y1/2; R m) are pretty accurate. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello, thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention. It is important to accurately measure vectors in lab to ensure the validity of your results. After reviewing the data and calculations provided, it appears that there may be some errors in the calculations.

Firstly, it is important to note that in vector addition, the x and y components are added separately and then combined using the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude (R). In your first calculation, you have added the x and y components together before taking the square root to find R. This is incorrect and may be why your R_calc is coming out smaller than the measured R.

Additionally, in your second calculation, the x component should be 15.3cos37, not 15.3+12.4. This may also be contributing to the difference in your calculated R.

I would recommend double checking your calculations and ensuring that you are correctly adding the x and y components separately before finding the magnitude. If you are still experiencing significant errors, it may be helpful to consult with your lab instructor or a peer for assistance. Good luck!

1. What are vector measurements and why are they important in laboratory experiments?

Vector measurements refer to the measurement of physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as velocity, force, and displacement. These measurements are important in laboratory experiments because they provide a more complete understanding of the system being studied and can help to determine the relationships between different variables.

2. How can I ensure accurate vector measurements in the lab?

To ensure accurate vector measurements in the lab, it is important to use precise and calibrated instruments, carefully align and stabilize equipment, and eliminate any external factors that could affect the measurements (e.g. air currents). It is also important to take multiple measurements and calculate the average to reduce any potential errors.

3. What are some common challenges when solving vector measurement concerns in the lab?

Some common challenges when solving vector measurement concerns in the lab include accurately measuring and representing the direction of a vector, dealing with vector components and their relationships, and accounting for external factors that may affect the measurements.

4. How can I analyze and interpret vector measurements in the lab?

To analyze and interpret vector measurements in the lab, it is important to understand the mathematical principles behind vector analysis, such as vector addition and subtraction, dot and cross products, and unit vector notation. Additionally, creating visual representations, such as diagrams or graphs, can aid in understanding the relationships between different vectors.

5. Can computer software be used to solve vector measurement concerns in the lab?

Yes, there are various computer software programs available that can assist with solving vector measurement concerns in the lab. These programs can quickly and accurately perform vector calculations, create visual representations, and analyze data. However, it is still important for scientists to have a solid understanding of vector analysis principles and verify the results produced by the software.