Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Adding Vectors

1. Mar 11, 2007 #1
    I JUST started adding vectors.. as in.. last class. I got a ton of questions, and have done three of them. The answers are given, but I got them wrong. I'll follow the little template already given:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the net force on a stack of books which are applied two forces: 2.0 N 61 degrees N of W and 59 degrees N of E?

The answer is 75.0 N, 73 degrees (N of E)

2. Relevant equations
    ??

3. The attempt at a solution

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/5965/vectorsao5.jpg [Broken]

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2007 #2
    Have you heard of the parallelogram rule yet?

4. Mar 11, 2007 #3
    Who in the what? :S

I've never heard of that...

My teacher just did one example on the board, we copied it down as fast as we could, and now I'm trying to do what I think she did...which is what I attempted.

LOL I'm assuming I'm missing something obvious that I've never heard of before.

Thanks

edit: BTW, I'm in Grade 11 and have barley learned anything above the basics.

5. Mar 11, 2007 #4
    Maybe that is for the resultant.

Anyways, you can just put them head to tail(like I think you did)....and then solve them similar to how your find the hypotenuse on a right triangle.

6. Mar 11, 2007 #5
    Thanks for the response, but I'm not quite sure what you mean... can you see what I did wrong?

7. Mar 11, 2007 #6

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, firstly, you're using x's and y's to mean different things on each diagram! Pick a coordinate system (the most conventional is that x components are horizontal, and y components are vertical) and stick to it!

Now, the horizontal components are in opposite directions, so the resultant will be V2x-V1x.

You seem to be close, so try again, this time sticking to a convention, and see how you do.

8. Mar 11, 2007 #7
    :O

Holy moly.... I haven't made that idiotic mistake since grade 8! And the first time I post a question like this on a forum, It's my lucky day and I do it for the first time in 3 years!

Yes, thanks for pointing that out. I was able to get it.

There's another 2 questions that have nothing to do with mixing up the x/y axis (lol), so they are still problems (I was hoping there was a solution to why all 3 were incorrect)

Thanks

Before posting any more problems, I'll go back and retry the other two to check for more embarrassing mistakes...

This is comparable to last semester when I was frustrated with a single problem involving intersections of circles and lines in Math... only to have somebody point out that I had "1 x 1 = 2". LOL

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook