1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adding Vectors

1. Mar 11, 2007 #1
    I JUST started adding vectors.. as in.. last class. I got a ton of questions, and have done three of them. The answers are given, but I got them wrong. I'll follow the little template already given:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the net force on a stack of books which are applied two forces: 2.0 N 61 degrees N of W and 59 degrees N of E?

The answer is 75.0 N, 73 degrees (N of E)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Thanks in advance!
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2007 #2
    Have you heard of the parallelogram rule yet?
  4. Mar 11, 2007 #3
    Who in the what? :S

I've never heard of that...

My teacher just did one example on the board, we copied it down as fast as we could, and now I'm trying to do what I think she did...which is what I attempted.

LOL I'm assuming I'm missing something obvious that I've never heard of before.

edit: BTW, I'm in Grade 11 and have barley learned anything above the basics.
  5. Mar 11, 2007 #4
    Maybe that is for the resultant.

Anyways, you can just put them head to tail(like I think you did)....and then solve them similar to how your find the hypotenuse on a right triangle.
  6. Mar 11, 2007 #5
    Thanks for the response, but I'm not quite sure what you mean... can you see what I did wrong?
  7. Mar 11, 2007 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, firstly, you're using x's and y's to mean different things on each diagram! Pick a coordinate system (the most conventional is that x components are horizontal, and y components are vertical) and stick to it!

Now, the horizontal components are in opposite directions, so the resultant will be V2x-V1x.

You seem to be close, so try again, this time sticking to a convention, and see how you do.
  8. Mar 11, 2007 #7

Holy moly.... I haven't made that idiotic mistake since grade 8! And the first time I post a question like this on a forum, It's my lucky day and I do it for the first time in 3 years!

Yes, thanks for pointing that out. I was able to get it.

There's another 2 questions that have nothing to do with mixing up the x/y axis (lol), so they are still problems (I was hoping there was a solution to why all 3 were incorrect)

Before posting any more problems, I'll go back and retry the other two to check for more embarrassing mistakes...

This is comparable to last semester when I was frustrated with a single problem involving intersections of circles and lines in Math... only to have somebody point out that I had "1 x 1 = 2". LOL
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?