Displacement & Pythagorean Theorem: Triangle ABC

In summary: Anyway, displacement vectors are just one example of a vector. Euclidean vectors are just a specific type of vector that are related to the geometry that we learned in high school - the Pythagorean theorem. Other types of vectors include velocity vectors, acceleration vectors, and force vectors.
lrl4565
Alright, we have triangle abc with hypotenuse c. So, if you add vector a and vector b, the answer is vector c.

Now, according to the pythagorean theorem, this would not make sense. But the pythagorean theorem is DISTANCE. I am guessing that this phenomenon has something to do with using displacement?

Physics news on Phys.org
Note, that the pythagorean theorem corresponds to the particular geometric situation where vector a and b are orthogonal on each other and in this case, the pythogorean theorem relates the length of the three vectors. For general vectors a and b, you need the law of cosine that includes the angle between a and b in order to related the length of a and b with the length of c.

My book says vector a + vector b = vector c. It uses (x,y) coordinates.

Vector a: (x1,y1)
Vector b: (x2,y2)
Vector c: (x1+x2, y1+y2)

Filip Larsen, what you just described gives me the magnitude of the displacement.

Am I measuring distance or displacement? Is the vector all about displacement?

Displacement is only one example of a vector quantity. It's the first one that most physics textbooks introduce. There are many others: velocity, acceleration, force, momentum, angular momentum, electric field, magnetic field, ...

In your example, the total distance traveled would be the sum of the lengths (magnitudes) of the displacement vectors a and b:

[tex]d_{total} = \sqrt{x_1^2 + y_1^2} + \sqrt{x_2^2 + y_2^2}[/tex]

The total displacement would be simply the vector c, which has magnitude

[tex]\sqrt{(x_1 + x_2)^2 + (y_1 + y_2)^2}[/tex]

and a direction (angle) given by

[tex]\tan \theta = \frac{y_1 + y_2}{x_1 + x_2}[/tex]

What do you mean by "Euclidean vectors"?

Naty1's link is for Euclidean Vectors

Oh, silly me :wink: should've clicked on that.

From what I read in the article, it seems like a displacement vector is just one example of a Euclidean vector. Although it kind of depends on how you define "Euclidean vector" - there's a bit of ambiguity in the article, probably because different groups of people (e.g. physicists vs. mathematicians) have different definitions for the term.

What is displacement?

Displacement is a measure of the change in position of an object. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

What is the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

How is the Pythagorean theorem related to displacement?

In a displacement triangle, the hypotenuse represents the displacement, the vertical side represents the change in vertical position, and the horizontal side represents the change in horizontal position. The Pythagorean theorem can be used to calculate the magnitude of the displacement.

What is Triangle ABC?

Triangle ABC is a specific triangle used to represent displacement in two-dimensional motion. The sides of the triangle represent the change in position in the x and y directions, and the hypotenuse represents the displacement vector.

How is the Pythagorean theorem used in real-world applications?

The Pythagorean theorem is used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and architecture. It can be used to calculate distances, determine the shortest path between two points, and analyze forces in structures. It is also used in navigation and mapping, as well as in computer graphics and video game programming.