Solving Trig Equations: (1.84, 5.06)?

• Thread starter SS2006
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, a trigonometric equation is a mathematical equation that involves trigonometric functions and is used to find the value of an unknown angle or variable. To solve these equations, the trigonometric function must be isolated and algebraic techniques can be used. The most common types of trigonometric equations involve right triangles, Pythagorean theorem, identities, and solving for roots. The values (1.84, 5.06) in a trigonometric equation likely represent the solutions to the equation. Solving trigonometric equations has many real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and astronomy.
SS2006
[img=http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/7927/10wm2.th.jpg]

I tried diong (6cos60, 6 sin 60) + (4cos160, 4 sin160) + (3cos330, 3sin330)
and i got what the answer should be
(5.06, 1.84), except theothe rway round (1.84, 5.06) i thogutht he cos gets the X, why did i have the switch. or is my approach all wrong. causei used the angles id get if i started from t he top of the y-axis.

id appreciate some help

Physics news on Phys.org
6cos60 is the y-component. 6cos30, on the other hand, is not.
I'm confused by your choices of angles. I'd use the ones already there.

I would like to clarify that the solution to a trigonometric equation depends on the specific equation and not on the orientation of the coordinate system. In the given equation, (1.84, 5.06) is the solution because it satisfies the given equation. The approach used in the solution may be different from yours, but as long as it yields the correct answer, it is a valid method. It is important to understand the fundamental concepts of trigonometry and to use the appropriate trigonometric identities and formulas to solve equations. If you are unsure about your approach, it is always helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or a tutor.

1. What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is a mathematical equation that involves one or more trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, or tangent. These equations typically involve finding the value of an unknown angle or variable based on known values of other angles or variables.

2. How do I solve trigonometric equations?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you must first isolate the trigonometric function on one side of the equation. Then, use algebraic techniques such as factoring, simplifying, or using inverse trigonometric functions to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What are the most common trigonometric equations?

The most common trigonometric equations involve finding the value of an unknown angle or variable in a right triangle, using the Pythagorean theorem or trigonometric identities. Other common equations include solving for the roots of trigonometric functions or finding the period or amplitude of a trigonometric function.

4. What is the significance of the values (1.84, 5.06) in this trigonometric equation?

The values (1.84, 5.06) likely represent the solutions or solutions to the trigonometric equation. These values could represent angles, lengths, or other variables that satisfy the equation when substituted in.

5. What are the applications of solving trigonometric equations?

Solving trigonometric equations has many real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and astronomy. It can be used to calculate distances, angles, and other measurements in various fields, as well as in navigation and construction.