How can we add Angular Momenta in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the addition of equations in quantum mechanics, specifically (7.91) and (7.92) resulting in (7.110). It is mentioned that this is not the 'real' addition, but rather a direct product of different spaces. The conversation also touches on the commutator of two components, with the final conclusion being that the direct product is the correct operation.
M. next
Hey!

While I was reading some book in Quantum Mechanics, I ran across the following, and couldn't
know how can this be true or actually how was it assumed.

How by adding equation (7.91)and (7.92), we get (7.110), see attachment.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-14-22-43-29.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-14-22-43-29.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 446
  • Screenshot_2013-01-14-22-43-12-1.png
    Screenshot_2013-01-14-22-43-12-1.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 418
Physics news on Phys.org
Well isn't
[tex]
\vec{J}=\vec{J}_1+\vec{J}_2
[/tex]?
Then you can work component by component and obtain the result.

Yes, but this is not the 'real' addition, each of the operators you've listed belong to different spaces..

M. next said:
Yes, but this is not the 'real' addition, each of the operators you've listed belong to different spaces..

But [itex]\vec{J}[/itex] may be defined in this way on the space defined as the direct sum of the spaces where 1 and 2 act, or not?

Please read carefully what's written in the attachment.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-15-00-25-30.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-15-00-25-30.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 408
But J may be defined in this way on the space defined as the direct sum of the spaces where 1 and 2 act, or not?
They do act on different subspaces. But actually it's not the direct sum, it's the direct product. To be technical about it, J1 is really J1 ⊗ I, and J2 is really I ⊗ J2, and J = J1 + J2 = J1 ⊗ J2.

Now if you focus on two of the components, say x and y components, and look at their commutator,

[Jx, Jy] = [J1x, J1y] ⊗ [J2x, J2y] = i J1z ⊗ J2z = i Jz

Bill_K said:
They do act on different subspaces. But actually it's not the direct sum, it's the direct product. To be technical about it, J1 is really J1 ⊗ I, and J2 is really I ⊗ J2, and J = J1 + J2 = J1 ⊗ J2.

Now if you focus on two of the components, say x and y components, and look at their commutator,

[Jx, Jy] = [J1x, J1y] ⊗ [J2x, J2y] = i J1z ⊗ J2z = i Jz

Yes, the direct product, I messed up my operations.

Thanks! This was helpful.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of a system or object. It is a vector quantity that takes into account the mass, velocity, and distribution of mass around an axis of rotation.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the angular velocity of an object by its moment of inertia, which is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is represented by the symbol L and has units of kilograms per meter squared per second (kg·m^2/s).

3. What is the law of conservation of angular momentum?

The law of conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that in a closed system, the initial angular momentum will be equal to the final angular momentum.

4. How does the addition of angular momenta work?

The addition of angular momenta occurs when two or more objects with angular momentum combine to form a new system. The total angular momentum of the new system is equal to the sum of the individual angular momenta of the objects. This is similar to how linear momenta is added together.

5. What are some real-world applications of the addition of angular momenta?

The addition of angular momenta is used in many areas of physics, including celestial mechanics, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics. It can be used to understand the motion of planets and satellites, the behavior of atomic and subatomic particles, and the flow of fluids in turbines and other machinery.