Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Addition of mx to function

1. Aug 20, 2011 #1
    To show the addition of the term mx to a polynomial graph, my book takes an example with y=x^3. To produce a function y=x^3 - 3x it draws the graph of y= x^3. Then the line y= - 3x is drawn in the same graph. quote" If we think of the ordinates of y=x^3 as attached to the x axis and constrained to remain vertical, the graph of y=x^3 will become the graph of y=x^3- 3x if the x axis is rotated about the origin until it coincides with the line y= -3x.

Can somebody explain me in detail how rotating in such a way will produce the new graph?
    It mentions such transformation is shear. what is such motion? Is it applicable to all fucntions?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2011 #2
    That's interesting, I haven't seen that interpretation before. A "shear" of a set (graph) is when all the points in the set (on the graph) are translated parallel to the vertical axis, such that points with a greater vertical distance from the axis are translated further horizontally. More specifically, points are translated parallel to the axis by a distance proportional to their perpendicular distance from the axis.

So, to the x-coordinate, we add a proportion of the y-coordinate (height above the axis), i.e. the point (x, y) is changed into the point (x + my, y).

Umm ... brb on the "rotation" interpretation of this. I'll edit later.

4. Aug 21, 2011 #3
    i am not clear with the translation you mentioned. The points of graph y=x^3 are translated along the vertical axis but with distance proportional to the perpendicular distance from which axis??

also plz try to explain the rotation method

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook