1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Addition of Sine & Cosine

1. Feb 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Express 3sin(ωt) + 2cos(ωt) in the form Rsin(ωt + α)

AND

verify the resultant function is the same frequency as 3sin(ωt) and 2cos(ωt)

2. Relevant equations

R = √a2+b2
    α = arctan(b/a)

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt using the equations above produces the answer R = √13 and α = 0.6 rad or 33.7°

My argument for the solution being the same frequency is that the period T = 2∏/ω in each case therefore f = 1/T = ω/2∏

I have my doubts about this solution because I believe the marks are awarded for a solution involving the double and compound angle formula (I cant see how this is necessary).

Also, is the statement regarding frequency comprehensive enough or is there a better way of presenting the solution?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Do you know how to go from the first form to the second form other than by plugging numbers into the two formulas?

4. Feb 19, 2013 #3
    R is the hypotenuse of the right angle triangle with base a and height b. Therefore R2 = a2 + b2 (pythagoras).

the angle can be solved by finding the arctan of b/a (basic trig).

This is not the question though?

EDIT: Solution with compound angle formula

√13sin(ωt+0.6) = √13(sin(ωt)cos(0.6) + cos(ωt)sin(0.6))

= √13(0.83sin(ωt) + 0.56cos(ωt))

= 3sin(ωt) + 2cos(ωt)

how does this prove the frequency being the same? (even though I know it is the same)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  5. Feb 19, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That's right, but how does that relate to the fact that ##a \sin \omega t + b \cos \omega t = R \sin(\omega t+\alpha)##?

6. Feb 19, 2013 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I'm not sure exactly what your instructor is looking for regarding the frequency. As you stated the problem, it's already assumed the frequencies are equal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook