Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Addition of three angular momentum

1. Aug 18, 2004 #1
    How can I couple three angular momentum?
    I am confused about this, in fact I don't understand how can I do this...
    I need to build eigenstates of total angular momentum for three particles J=j_1+j_2+j_3, someone can help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2004 #2
    If you can add two angular momentum, I don't see any problem. If you are able to deal with [tex]j_1[/tex] and [tex]j_2[/tex], say [tex]J_{dummy} = j_1 \otimes j_2[/tex] then the remaining is [tex] J= J_{dummy} \otimes j_3[/tex] :biggrin:

Of course, it is easy to speak of the general [tex] j_1 \otimes j_2[/tex] without any specific value for them, whereas giving the general properties of [tex] j_1 \otimes j_2 \otimes j_3 \otimes j_4 \otimes j_5 \otimes j_6 \cdots[/tex] would not only be difficult, it would be useless.
  4. Aug 18, 2004 #3
    Ok, but is it the same way to couple j_12=j_1+j_2 and then J=j_12+j_3 or first j_23=j_2+j_3 and then J=j_1+j_23 ?
  5. Aug 18, 2004 #4
  6. Aug 18, 2004 #5

Science Advisor

Yes but, you will get different representations of states of total J. humanino is right, if you can couple 2, then you can couple 3 or ....... But, the algebra becomes horrific, and .... We are talking Clebsch-Gordan coefficients applied to Clebsch-Gordan coefficients, which really gets ugly for 6 or 12 individual particles. However, there's a lot of very elegant work , much due to G. Racah, that makes coupling of angular momenta much less formidable. (For coupling three angular momenta, one works with a 3-j symbol, a specially normalized and symmetrized set/product of CG coefficients.) For me the bible is Edmonds' Angular Momentum in Quantum Mechanics, but it is old.
    I'm sure a Google will produce lots on the subject.
    Reilly Atkinson
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?