Maximizing Localization in Adding Multiple Plane Waves

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with an assignment in their quantum mechanics class involving adding multiple plane waves. They have searched through numerous articles and textbooks but are still unsure of how to definitively add the waves. They apologize for their English and ask for assistance in choosing amplitudes and wave numbers for the wave packet to be as localized as possible. They clarify that they have already figured out the second part of the assignment.
lilipoli
To whom it may concern,

I am having issues with a given assignment in my quantum mechanics class. The instructions listed below are all I have to go on since the prof. is not available for discussion and I have searched through at least 15 articles regarding plane waves and a dozen textbooks and still come up empty on how to definitively add multiple plane waves. I wouldn't be posting on a forum, if I were not to try everything else beforehand myself.
Any help is greatly appreciated and I apologize for my bad English.-Write a program for adding two or more plane waves [equation: y(x) = Σ^n _i=1 Ai sin(ki X) ]
-How to choose amplitudes Ai and wave numbers ki for any given n so that the wave packet is as localized as possible?

Attachments

• equation.JPG
    equation.JPG
    2.9 KB · Views: 459
Physics news on Phys.org
What part are you having trouble with?

The first point of the assignment (addition of multiple plane waves). The second I have figured out already :)

They give you the equation. Just pick your amplitudes A and wave vectors k and evaluate the equation at positions x.

1. What is the formula for adding two plane waves?

The formula for adding two plane waves is A1sin(k1x - wt) + A2sin(k2x - wt), where A1 and A2 are the amplitudes, k1 and k2 are the wave numbers, x is the position, and w is the angular frequency.

2. What is the significance of the wave numbers in the addition of plane waves?

The wave numbers, k1 and k2, represent the spatial frequencies of the two waves. When adding two plane waves, their wave numbers determine the spacing and interference pattern of the resulting wave.

3. Can two plane waves with different amplitudes and frequencies be added together?

Yes, two plane waves with different amplitudes and frequencies can be added together. The resulting wave will have a new amplitude and frequency determined by the added values.

4. How does the addition of plane waves affect the wavelength?

The wavelength of the resulting wave is determined by the sum of the two wave numbers. This means that the wavelength may change depending on the wave numbers of the two added waves.

5. What is the physical interpretation of the addition of two plane waves?

The addition of two plane waves represents the interference of two waves. This can result in constructive or destructive interference, depending on the amplitudes and wave numbers of the two added waves.