1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Addition of two waves

Tags:
  1. Jan 18, 2017 #1
    • Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
    Two sinusoidal waves, identical except for phase, travel in the same direction along a string, producing the net wave

y(x,t)=(5.5 mm)sin(12.0x -2.0 s-1 * t+0.390 rad),

A. with x in meters and t in seconds. What is the wavelength λ of the two waves?
    B. What is the phase difference between them?
    C. What is their amplitude ym?

I know A is .524 m but I am not too sure why. Other than that, I don't really know what I am doing. My general issue here is that I do not fully understand the form of the equation. Any information on what the different terms in the equation do would be helpful.

I got the answer for A from (2pi)/12 btw. The 12 was the coefficient of the first term, but again I don't really understand what is happening here.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The wavelength is the smallest nonzero change in x which completes a cycle, i.e. changes the argument to the sine function by 2π.
    Write a general equation for a travelling wave. Write a second one which only differs in phase. Write the sum of the two.
    What trig formulae do you know that can put the sum of two sine functions in a different form? (These should be listed in the Relevant Equations section of the template. Oh, you didn't keep the template. Tut tut.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted