Addition to Philosophy Forum guidelines

In summary, a new addition has been made to the Philosophy Forum guidelines regarding the use of proper English communication standards. The purpose is to improve clarity and facilitate communication. Questions and comments on this new policy are welcome.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you know about this new addition the Philosophy Forum guidelines.

In the interest of conveying ideas as clearly as possible, posts in this forum are required to show reasonable attention to written English communication standards. This includes the use of proper grammatical structure, punctuation, capitalization, and spelling. SMS messaging shorthand, such as using "u" for "you", is not acceptable.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=47294

The intent is not to become obnoxiously strict "grammar police" here, but to create standards that will facilitate communication. We have had some problems with posts that are written so sloppily that it is impossible to figure out what the author is trying to say. Clarity of communication is important in all areas of PF, but I think it is especially important for the discussions we have here.

Your questions and comments on this new policy are welcomed.

Thanks,
MIH

Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you know about this new addition the Philosophy Forum guidelines.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=47294

The intent is not to become obnoxiously strict "grammar police" here, but to create standards that will facilitate communication. We have had some problems with posts that are written so sloppily that it is impossible to figure out what the author is trying to say. Clarity of communication is important in all areas of PF, but I think it is especially important for the discussions we have here.

Your questions and comments on this new policy are welcomed.

Thanks,
MIH
Thanks MIH. It's often hard enough to figure out what somebody is trying to say even when they're using perfect grammar and punctuation. :smile:

I understand the importance of clear and effective communication in any field. The addition to the Philosophy Forum guidelines regarding written English communication standards is a positive step towards ensuring that ideas are conveyed accurately and effectively. Proper use of grammar, punctuation, capitalization, and spelling is essential in conveying complex philosophical concepts and discussions. It is understandable that this guideline is not meant to be overly strict, but rather to create a standard that will promote clarity and understanding among forum members. I believe this will greatly enhance the overall quality of discussions in the forum and I welcome any questions or comments on this new policy. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

1. What is the purpose of the "Addition to Philosophy Forum guidelines"?

The purpose of the "Addition to Philosophy Forum guidelines" is to provide a set of rules and expectations for participants of the forum to follow in order to promote respectful and productive discussions about philosophical topics.

2. Who is responsible for enforcing the guidelines?

The moderators of the Philosophy Forum are responsible for enforcing the guidelines and ensuring that all participants adhere to them. They have the authority to remove any posts or users that violate the guidelines.

3. Can I suggest additions or changes to the guidelines?

Yes, suggestions for additions or changes to the guidelines are always welcome. You can reach out to the moderators with your suggestions and they will consider them for future updates to the guidelines.

4. What types of behavior are not allowed on the forum?

The forum has a zero tolerance policy for any form of hate speech, personal attacks, harassment, or discriminatory language. Any posts or comments containing such behavior will be removed and may result in a ban from the forum.

5. Are there any consequences for not following the guidelines?

Yes, failure to follow the guidelines may result in your post being removed, a warning from the moderators, or even a ban from the forum. It is important to familiarize yourself with the guidelines and follow them in order to maintain a positive and respectful community on the Philosophy Forum.