1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Additional dimentions?

1. Dec 23, 2004 #1
    I have a 12 grade Physics report due, topic:

answer an unanswered physics question.
    my question= Are there additional dimentions?

if anyone has any information on this topic, can point me to a website, or anything else helpful, that would be great.

im expectiong to hear... :surprised
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes,there are.Additional to how many??3,4,10,11,26??

PS.I believe u can be given a good answer here.But try first to ask the right question. :wink:
  4. Dec 23, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Brief answer: nobody knows for sure, but if sting theory is correct, there may be up to 26 "hidden" spatial dimensions.

Some more info:

Current research in mathematical physics strongly favors a theory (string theory) that predicts the existence of as many as 26 dimentions.

If that is so, and nature actually has as many dimensions, there are (at least) two possible ways in which they remain "hidden" to us:
    1. If they are too small, so that we do not notice,
    2. If we are confined in a three-dimensional slice of the 26D space,

You can find more info in http://www.superstringtheory.com. If you find something hard to understand in there, feel free to come back and ask.
  5. Dec 23, 2004 #4
    Watch the elegant universe....

or read the book... by brian greene
  6. Dec 24, 2004 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

7. Dec 24, 2004 #6

did you mean special instead of spatial? if not i guess in this subject they are interchangeable maybe. yes, of course, other dimensions. dimension=mision-die=mis ion ide. there's a million maybe. c-eve with a smile >wink<
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?