The moment of inertia of the stool with respect to an axis at its center?

In summary, the problem involves finding the moment of inertia of a three-legged stool made up of a solid circular disk and three identical thin rods attached at the outer edge of the disk. The mass and radius of the disk are given, as well as the mass of each rod. The hint suggests that the moment of inertia for each rod can be calculated using the formula 1/3M*L^2, where M is the mass of the rod and L is the distance from the axis of rotation. However, since the rods are attached at the edge of the disk, the length L is not necessary and can be considered a point mass at a distance of R/3 from the axis of rotation. Therefore, the moment of inertia for the
chattkis3
Hi! I am working on this problem:

A solid circular disk has a mass of 1.2 kg and a radius of 0.17 m. Each of three identical thin rods has a mass of 0.16 kg. The rods are attached perpendicularly to the plane of the disk at its outer edge to form a three-legged stool. Find the moment of inertia of the stool with respect to an axis that is perpendicular to the plane of the disk at its center. (Hint: When considering the moment of inertia of each rod, note that all of the mass of each rod is located at the same perpendicular distance from the axis.)
Here is my thinking so far (but I am stumped!):
-Moment of Inertia's are additive
- The moment of inertia for the circular disk is (1/2)M*R^2
- I don't know how to get the moment of inertia for the three legs because they don't give me a mass. I am pretty sure the formula is 1/3M*L^2 but I don't know L ??

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Re-read the problem - the mass of the rods is stated explicitly. The length of the rods should be unimportant - perhaps you can figure out why.

Oh whoops, I didn't mean to put that the mass was not known. So it's been a couple of days and I am still stumped on why the length would not matter.
Is this close to the right track?

(1/2*M*R^2)+(1/3m)+(1/3m)+(1/3m) = I

M= mass of stool top
m = mass of one leg

The legs are parralel to the axis of rotation right? So, in the plane of rotation (perpendicular to the axis of rotation) they're essentially point masses. (Does this make sense to you?)

I get:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}MR^2 + 3 \times (\frac{R}{3})^2m[/tex]

NateTG said:
The legs are parralel to the axis of rotation right? So, in the plane of rotation (perpendicular to the axis of rotation) they're essentially point masses. (Does this make sense to you?)

I get:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}MR^2 + 3 \times (\frac{R}{3})^2m[/tex]

could you please explain that for me? it would seem like the legs would matter, since there is a r (distance between them and the axis of rotation). we just covered angular momentum and i have yet to work through the homework.

thanks, if you've the time!

NateTG, why you put R/3? Since the rods can be considered as point masses on the solid disc, I think it should be mR^2 for each, right?

CartoonKid said:
NateTG, why you put R/3? Since the rods can be considered as point masses on the solid disc, I think it should be mR^2 for each, right?

well from the lab on angular momentum that we did, two point particles rotating on a bar -- the moment of intertia can be calculated as

2mr^2

now that i see what he's talking about with that r/3 part, he's doing the same thing. it's like there are 3 of them adding to the moment of inertia. i don't understand what the 1/3 of R is for. it seems to me like it should be 3mR^2.

That was a brain fart. I thought the rods were [tex]\frac{1}{3}[/tex] of the radius out rather than at the edge.

1. What are additive moments of inertia?

Additive moments of inertia refer to the total moment of inertia of a complex object that is made up of multiple smaller objects. It is the sum of the individual moments of inertia of each component of the object.

2. How are additive moments of inertia calculated?

To calculate the additive moments of inertia, you need to know the individual moments of inertia of each component, as well as the distances between the components. The formula for calculating the total moment of inertia is I = ∑mr², where I is the total moment of inertia, m is the mass of each component, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to each component.

3. Why are additive moments of inertia important?

Additive moments of inertia are important because they help us understand the rotational motion and stability of complex objects. They are also essential in engineering and design, as they are used in calculating the necessary torque and power needed to rotate these objects.

4. Can additive moments of inertia be negative?

No, additive moments of inertia cannot be negative. Moment of inertia is a measure of how much an object resists changes in its rotational motion, and it is always a positive value. If the object has a negative moment of inertia, it means it is rotating in the opposite direction of what is expected.

5. How can additive moments of inertia be applied in real-world situations?

Additive moments of inertia can be applied in various real-world situations, such as in the design of vehicles, machinery, and structures. They are also used in sports and games, such as calculating the moment of inertia of a figure skater during a spin. In physics, they are used to understand the rotational behavior of atoms and molecules.