Additivity and $\sigma$-Additivity of a Measure on $\mathbb{N}$ with Example

• Thread starter LHeiner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measure
In summary: As for your calculation, you are making it too difficult. Let's look at the setA=\{2n+1~\vert~n>0\}\cup \{2n+1/2~\vert~n>0\} and we want to calculate \frac{1}{n} \xi(A\cap [1,n]) .Now take n=2k. ThenA\cap [1,n]=\{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,...,2k,2k+1/2,2k+2,...\}=\{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
LHeiner
Hey

i'm given a measure on [tex]$\Omega =\mathbb{N}, A \subset \mathbb{N}$[/tex] and should check additivity as well as [tex]$\sigma$[/tex]-additiviy. Additionally i should give an example for a set where [tex]$\mu(A)$[/tex] is not defined:

[tex]$\mu(A)=\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{n} \xi\mid _\mathbb{N} (A \cap [1,n])$[/tex] with finite limit.
whereas [tex]$\xi\mid _\mathbb{N}$[/tex] is the counting measure on [tex]$\mathbb{N}$[/tex]

Can anybody help me with this?
Appreciate it, thanks very much

Physics news on Phys.org
For the additivity

[tex] \mu(A\cup B) =\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}{\frac{1}{n}\xi_\mathbb{N}((A\cap [1,n])\cup(B\cap [1,n]))}[/tex]

Now just apply the additivity of the counting measure and split the limit.

For [tex]\sigma[/tex]-additivity, you will eventually need to exchange limit and series. But this should be no problem since the series has positive terms.

As for the example where [tex]\mu[/tex] does not exist. The only problem with [tex]\mu [/tex] might be that the limit does not exist. This happens with the following set
[tex] \{n\in \mathbb{N}~\vert~n>0\}\cup \{2n+1/2~\vert~n>0\} [/tex]

Just ask if something is not clear...

The measure [tex]\mu [/tex] can actually be regarded as the limiting average elements of a set. It also poses some interesting questions. Like: what is the measure of the primes? or what is the measure of the squares?

Ok that means:

[tex]$\mu (A\cup B)=\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{n} \xi\mid_\mathbb{N}(A\cap[1,n])\cup (B\cap[1,n]))=\\
\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{n} \xi\mid_\mathbb{N} [(A\cap[1,n])+ (B\cap[1,n])]=\\
\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{n} \xi\mid_\mathbb{N} (A\cap[1,n])+\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{n} \xi\mid_\mathbb{N} (B\cap[1,n])=\mu(A)+\mu(B)$[/tex]

and [tex]$\sigma$[/tex]-add:

[tex]$\mu(\bigcup_{i=1}^{n}A_i)=\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{n} \xi\mid_\mathbb{N} (\bigcup_{i=1}^{n}A_i \cap [1,n])\\
=\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{n} \xi\mid_\mathbb{N} (\sum_{i=1}^{n}A_i \cap [1,n])\\
=\sum_{i=1}^{n} \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{n} \xi\mid_\mathbb{N} (A_i \cap [1,n])= \sum \mu(A_i)$[/tex]

But i can't see why [tex]$\mu$[/tex] has no limit for the set [tex]${n \in \mathbb{N}\vert n>0}\cup \{2n+1/2\vert n>0}$[/tex]

The "measure" isn't sigma-additive, e.g. consider a countable union of singletons.

Hmm, in your proof of additivity, you say

[tex] \xi[(A\cap [1,n])+(B\cap[1,n])] [/tex]

You can of course not take the sum of two sets. That needs to be

[tex] \xi(A\cap [1,n])+\xi(B\cap [1,n]) [/tex]

As noticed by bpet, [tex]\mu[/tex] is not [tex]\sigma[/tex]-additive. The reason for this is, that you can not in general exchange limit with sum. This is sometimes allowed, but not in this case.

For convenience, I'll give two situations in which you CAN exchange limit with sum (notice that none of these two situations apply here).

We have that

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}{\sum_{k=1}^{+\infty}{x_{n,k}}=\sum_{k=1}^{+\infty}{\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}{x_{n,k}}}[/tex]

if one of following situations occurs
1) [tex]\forall k: m\leq n~\Rightarrow~x_{m,k}\leq x_{n,k}[/tex] and every [tex]x_{n,k}[/tex] is positive.
2) There exists a sequence [tex](y_k)_k[/tex] such that [tex]\sum_{k=1}^{+\infty}{|y_k|}<+\infty[/tex] and [tex]\forall k,n: |x_{n,k}|\leq y_k[/tex]

You will prove these theorems later in it's ful generality (i.e. with integrals instead of sums).

Now for the set [tex]A=\{n \in \mathbb{N}\vert n>0\}\cup \{2n+(1/2)\vert n>0\}[/tex]. Just calculate for every n, how many elements are in [tex]A\cap[1,n][/tex]. (be sure to discriminate between the cases n is even/n is odd). Then divide this number by n and take the limit.

Last edited:
I'm sorry now I am completely confused :confused::confused:

i think my problem is that maybe i don't completely understand the function at all. i mean isn't [tex]$\mu(A)$[/tex] always 0?

If i look at [tex]A\left \{1,2,5,8,9,10 \right \} \Rightarrow \mu(A)=\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{n} \xi (A \cap [1,n])= \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{n} \xi ({1,2,5,8,9,10})=\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{6}{n}=0[/tex]

i think measure (&set) theory is not my speciality:frown:

Don't worry, everybody is confused in the beginning of measure theory. It grows on you.

But the measure [tex] \mu [/tex] is certainly not zero. For finite sets, it is zero. But let's calculate [tex] \mu(\mathbb{N}) [/tex].

We have that [tex] \mathbb{N}\cap [1,n]=\{1,...,n\} [/tex]. So [tex] \xi(\mathbb{N}\cap [1,n])=n [/tex]. So

[tex] \frac{1}{n} \xi(\mathbb{N}\cap [1,n])= 1 [/tex]

Taking the limit, yields that [tex]\mu(\mathbb{N})=1 [/tex].

okey so i think i now get why the function is not [tex]\sigma[/tex] additive, because if you apply the function to sum of countable unions of singletons you don't get the same as if you sum up the function on each of the sets.
am i right?

so then i only have to figure out the last part the set for which there exists no limit

Yes, you are right.

still confused with this set, why is there no limit, even if i distinguish between odd/even i always get a countable set or where is my error?

n..even= 2k
[tex] A=\left \{2k\right \}\cup \left \{4k+0,5\right \}=\left \{2,4,4.5,6,8,8.5...\right \}\cap [1,n]\rightarrow \xi(..)=n[/tex]
n..odd=2k+1
[tex] A=\left \{2k+1\right \}\cup \left \{4k+1,5\right \}=\left \{1,3,5,5.5,7...\right \}\cap [1,n]\rightarrow \xi(..)=n[/tex]

1. What is meant by additivity of a measure on $\mathbb{N}$?

Additivity of a measure on $\mathbb{N}$ refers to the property of a measure to satisfy the addition property, where the measure of a union of disjoint sets is equal to the sum of the measures of each individual set. In other words, if $A$ and $B$ are disjoint sets in $\mathbb{N}$, then the measure of their union $A \cup B$ is equal to the sum of their individual measures, i.e. $m(A \cup B) = m(A) + m(B)$.

2. What is sigma-additivity of a measure on $\mathbb{N}$?

Sigma-additivity of a measure on $\mathbb{N}$ is a stronger version of additivity, where the measure satisfies the addition property for countably infinite collections of disjoint sets. This means that if $A_1, A_2, A_3, ...$ are countably infinite disjoint sets in $\mathbb{N}$, then the measure of their union $A_1 \cup A_2 \cup A_3 \cup ...$ is equal to the sum of their individual measures, i.e. $m(A_1 \cup A_2 \cup A_3 \cup ...) = m(A_1) + m(A_2) + m(A_3) + ...$.

3. Can you provide an example of a measure that is additive but not sigma-additive?

Yes, for example, let $\mu$ be a measure defined on $\mathbb{N}$ such that $\mu(A) = 1$ if $1 \in A$ and $\mu(A) = 0$ if $1 \notin A$. This measure is clearly additive, as the measure of any disjoint sets that do not contain 1 will be 0. However, it is not sigma-additive, as the measure of the countably infinite collection of sets $A_1 = \{1\}, A_2 = \{2\}, A_3 = \{3\}, ...$ is 1, but the sum of their individual measures is 0.

4. How do additivity and sigma-additivity affect the properties of a measure on $\mathbb{N}$?

Additivity and sigma-additivity are important properties for a measure on $\mathbb{N}$ to have, as they ensure that the measure behaves consistently and predictably for both finite and infinite collections of disjoint sets. These properties also allow for the use of techniques such as induction and limit theorems, making it easier to prove results about the measure.

5. Are all measures on $\mathbb{N}$ additive and sigma-additive?

No, not all measures on $\mathbb{N}$ are additive and sigma-additive. For example, the counting measure, which assigns the cardinality of a set as its measure, is only additive but not sigma-additive. It is possible for a measure on $\mathbb{N}$ to have one of these properties but not the other, or to have neither of these properties. It depends on the specific definition and properties of the measure in question.