1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Address Decoder

1. Apr 19, 2006 #1
    I am asked to implment an address decoder for the 68k with the following units: 4MB of eeprom using 512k*8 chips, 1 MB of RAM using 128k*8 chips, 4MB of DRAM using 512k*4 chips, and 128 bytes of i/o space.

I do not understand the question very well, and any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I'm not familiar with the Motorola 68k series, so I need to ask how many address and data lines does it provide? You need to draw out a memory map with the 24 memory chips mentioned in the question plus the memory-mapped IO. The EEPROM will most likely be at the bottom of the memory map (starting at 0x000000), since the 68k will need some non-volatile memory to run its boot program from, and I'd guess the 68k starts executing at 0x000000 after reset (is this right?).

So the 8 EEPROM chips take up the first 4MB of the memory map, from 0x0000 to 0x3FFFFF (divided into the 8 half-MB chunks), the 8 SRAM chips would go next, from 0x400000 to 0x4FFFFF, and so on. The last 128 bytes at the top after the DRAM chips are memory-mapped IO.

Now you need to look at the memory control lines for each type of memory, and design a circuit that takes in the address lines and the control lines from the 68k (like R/W- or whatever), and generates the enable lines for the different memory chips (like OE-, CS-, etc.). For example, when your decode circuit sees the address 0x000000 and the appropriate control lines from the 68k, it will generate a CS- for the bottom EEPROM chip (and *only* that chip), along with an OE- if it is a read cycle, or a WE- if it is a write cycle.

You typically would implement this kind of memory decode circuit in a CPLD or an FPGA. You can use Verilog or ABLE or whatever to code up the CPLD/FPGA. How are you asked to code up and simulate/test this design?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?