1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adiabatic Compression - Graphs

1. Nov 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider an adiabatic chemical reaction which results in the system being compressed. Assume an infinitely large surrounding.
    Draw a pressure-volume plot for the process. Indicate the points corresponding to your final and initial volumes o the plot. Indicate at which point(s) the pressure of the system in in equilibrium with the surroundings.

Draw a temperature-volume plot for the process. Indicate the points corresponding to your final and initial volumes o the plot. Indicate at which point(s) the temperature of the system in in equilibrium with the surroundings.

3. The attempt at a solution
    341px-Adiabatic.svg.png
    I basically drew an inverse curve like this, and labeled the right-most point as the initial volume, and left most as the final volume.I do not know where the pressure would be at equilibrium though :|. Would it just be when the reaction is completed, so at the left-most points?

I did the same for the temperature-volume plot, since it was hinted that the plot would be similar to the pressure-volume plot. But again, I do not know where it would be at equilibrium. I feel like it would depend on the surroundings.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Explain why the following statement is true: "Assuming that the system was in thermodynamic equilibrium prior to the chemical reaction, no point on the pressure-volume plot corresponds to the pre-reaction system."

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought this is true just because the pressure-volume plot would have a different initial volume so it wouldn't be the same as the pre-reaction system. I'm really not sure where to go with this.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?