Calculating Adiabatic Cooling at 1000 Meters Using Atmospheric Law

In summary, using the atmospheric law, the pressure at 1000 meters was determined to be 90202 Pa. To estimate the cooling, the adiabatic equations were used with an assumption of V1=1 m3 and γ=7/5, the correct ratio of Cp/Cv for a diatomic atmosphere. The gas was found to expand to 1.09 m3 and the incorrect result of heating up was corrected by using the correct value of γ.
EzequielSeattle

Homework Statement

A pocket of air rises 1000 meters. Estimate how much it cools. Use the atmospheric law to determine pressure at 1000 meters.

Homework Equations

P = P0 * e-Mgz/RT
PVγ = constant
TVγ-1 = constant

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the atmospheric law, I found the pressure at 1000 meters to be 90202 Pa, or about 0.89 atm. I'm not sure how to use the adiabatic equations. I just assumed V1 was 1 m3, and also assumed that γ=(5/7), as the atmosphere is mainly diatomic. Plugging these in, I got that the gas expands to about 1.09 m3, but when I tried to plug that into my last equation, I got that the gas actually HEATS up, which I know is wrong. What did I do wrong? Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
EzequielSeattle said:

Homework Statement

A pocket of air rises 1000 meters. Estimate how much it cools. Use the atmospheric law to determine pressure at 1000 meters.

Homework Equations

P = P0 * e-Mgz/RT
PVγ = constant
TVγ-1 = constant

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the atmospheric law, I found the pressure at 1000 meters to be 90202 Pa, or about 0.89 atm. I'm not sure how to use the adiabatic equations. I just assumed V1 was 1 m3, and also assumed that γ=(5/7), as the atmosphere is mainly diatomic. Plugging these in, I got that the gas expands to about 1.09 m3, but when I tried to plug that into my last equation, I got that the gas actually HEATS up, which I know is wrong. What did I do wrong? Please help!

What is gamma? it should be the ratio of Cp/Cv, correct? Which is larger, Cp or Cv ? Should gamma be greater or less than one?

Thank you! I was accidentally using γ=5/7 instead of 7/5. It works now.

1. What is adiabatic cooling?

Adiabatic cooling is the process of reducing the temperature of a gas or liquid through a decrease in pressure, without any heat exchange with the surrounding environment.

2. How does adiabatic cooling work?

Adiabatic cooling works through the principle of thermodynamics, where a decrease in pressure causes a decrease in temperature without any energy transfer. This can be achieved through the expansion of a gas or liquid, or through changes in volume or velocity.

3. What are some applications of adiabatic cooling?

Adiabatic cooling has several practical applications, such as in air conditioning systems, refrigeration, and gas turbines. It is also used in meteorology to explain temperature changes in the atmosphere.

4. What are the benefits of adiabatic cooling?

One of the main benefits of adiabatic cooling is its energy efficiency, as it does not require any external energy sources to decrease the temperature. It is also a more environmentally friendly option compared to traditional cooling methods that use refrigerants.

5. Are there any limitations to adiabatic cooling?

While adiabatic cooling is effective in certain applications, it also has its limitations. It is not suitable for cooling large volumes of air or liquids, and it requires precise control and monitoring to maintain the desired temperature. Additionally, it is not effective in humid environments where the air is already saturated with water vapor.