Adiabatic Curvature - Deduce the Local Adiabatic Curvature K

In summary, the local adiabatic curvature K is defined as the limit of the Berry phase mismatch divided by the loop area and is given by -2 Im < d(psi) phi| d(theta) phi>.
lyylynn
Hi,

I am working on the Laughlin model of Quantum Hall Effect, which relates to the concept ' adiabatic curvature'. The paper didn't include much details, and I knew little about berry phase. Could some one please give me some idea that how is the local adiabatic curvature deduced? ( the expression of K below)

Here is the problem: consider a quantum Hamiltonian H(psi, theta). Suppose the Hamiltonian has a non-degenerate ground state at energy zero. Ground state is e^ia|phi(psi,theta)>, a is the initial phase that is free to choose. The local adiabatic curvature K of the bundle of ground states in the parameter space is defined as the limit of the Berry phase mismatch divided by the loop area, turns out to be
K = 2 I am < d(psi) phi| d(theta) phi> (here d indicates partial differential operator)

Thanks a lot.:)

Physics news on Phys.org
</code>The expression for the local adiabatic curvature K is derived from the Berry phase formula, which is a measure of the geometric phase acquired by a quantum system when cycled through a closed loop in its parameter space. The Berry phase formula is given by B = ∫A F , where A is the area enclosed by the loop and F is the Berry curvature, which is given by F = -2 Im < d(psi) phi| d(theta) phi>. Therefore, the local adiabatic curvature K can be expressed as K = B/A = -2 Im < d(psi) phi| d(theta) phi>. This expression is valid for any non-degenerate ground state of the Hamiltonian H.

What is adiabatic curvature?

Adiabatic curvature is a measure of the change in curvature of a thermodynamic system under adiabatic conditions, meaning that there is no heat exchange with the surroundings.

How is local adiabatic curvature calculated?

The local adiabatic curvature K can be calculated by taking the second derivative of the adiabatic entropy with respect to the adiabatic volume.

What does a positive adiabatic curvature indicate?

A positive adiabatic curvature indicates that the system is stable and that the entropy increases as the volume increases under adiabatic conditions.

What does a negative adiabatic curvature indicate?

A negative adiabatic curvature indicates that the system is unstable and that the entropy decreases as the volume increases under adiabatic conditions.

How is adiabatic curvature used in thermodynamic calculations?

Adiabatic curvature is used in thermodynamic calculations to determine the stability of a system, as well as to analyze phase transitions and critical points.