How Do I Calculate Temperature and Pressure Ratios in an Adiabatic Engine Cycle?

In summary: The summary of the conversation is about a problem involving the operation of a gasoline internal combustion engine, with specific questions about ratios and efficiency. The conversation involves discussing formulas and equations to find the answers and determining the efficiency through heat changes. The numerical answers are provided at the end. In summary, the conversation revolves around determining ratios and efficiency in the operation of a gasoline internal combustion engine.
Varaia
This one had three bullets by it so it's a pretty tough one.

The cycle in the picture (see attachment) represents the operation of a gasoline internal combustion engine. Assume the gasoline air intake mixture is an ideal gas with (gamma)=1.30. What are the ratios a) T2/T1 b)T3/T1 c)T4/T1 d)p3/p1 e)p4/p1 also f) what is the engine efficiency?

Work and rambling thoughts so far... please tell me if I'm wrong.
This would be a change in entropy problem for the first couple of ratios right?
(delta)S=Sfinal-Sinitial=nRln(Vf/Vi)+nCvln(Tf/Ti)
yet it is an adiabatic operation so
pV^(1.3)=a constant during the adiabatic process
and since pV=nRT
TV^(1.3-1)= a constant
or TiVi^(1.3-1)=TfVf^(1.3-1)

now in the picture there are two adiabatic processes one when the gas is expanding 2 to 3 so temperature is decreasing and one from 4 to 1 where the gas is being compressed and temperature is increasing so the ratio of
a) T2/T1 since there is no volume change= 3.00 (duh)

other ratio's I can see T3/T4=3.00,

P1V1=T1 3P1V1=T2 T1=1/3(T2) Still just not seeing how they get the other ratios

Question: What formula do I use to find out b,c,d, and e?
then I can do f.) on my own.

Numerical answers b)1.98 c)0.660 d)0.495 e)0.165 f)34%

Attachments

• forumpic.gif
    forumpic.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 1,156
Physics news on Phys.org
Varaia said:
This one had three bullets by it so it's a pretty tough one.
Question: What formula do I use to find out b,c,d, and e?
then I can do f.) on my own.

Numerical answers b)1.98 c)0.660 d)0.495 e)0.165 f)34%
I am assuming that P2 = 3.00P1, although your graph is a little confusing, So of course T2/T1 = 3.00

For the adiabatic expansion from 2 to 3,

[tex]P_2V_2^\gamma = P_3V_3^\gamma[/tex]

[tex]P_3 = \frac{P_2V_2^\gamma}{V_3^\gamma}[/tex]

Since V3 = 4V2 = 4V1 and P2 = 3P1, you can work out P3 in terms of P1. And the ideal gas equation will give you T3.

Getting P4 is similar to finding P3.

[tex]P_4 = \frac{P_1V_1^\gamma}{(4V_1)^\gamma}[/tex]

The efficiency part is a little complicated, I think.

Edit: To find the efficiency, I thought one would have to determine the work done in the cycle by integrating under the curves.
[itex]\eta = \frac{W}{Q_H} = \frac{Q_H-Q_C}{Q_H} = 1 - \frac{Q_C}{Q_H}[/tex]

But looking at this again, I see that is not necessary since there is no heat change from 2 to 3 or 4 to 1 (adiabatic). The heat is gained and lost at constant volume from 1 to 2 and 3 to 4. So:

[tex]Q_C = C_v\Delta T_{3-4}[/tex] and [tex]Q_H = C_v\Delta T_{1-2}[/tex]

the efficiency is easily determined from the temperatures at 1, 2, 3 and 4.

AM

Last edited:

To find the ratios, we can use the adiabatic process equation you mentioned, which is T1V1^(gamma-1)=T2V2^(gamma-1). This equation relates the temperature and volume at two different points in an adiabatic process. We can rearrange this equation to solve for the ratios:

a) T2/T1 = (V1/V2)^(gamma-1) = (1/3)^(1.3-1) = 3

b) T3/T1 = (V1/V3)^(gamma-1) = (1/3)^(1.3-1) = 1/3 = 0.660

c) T4/T1 = (V1/V4)^(gamma-1) = (1/3)^(1.3-1) = 1/9 = 0.110

To find the pressure ratios, we can use the ideal gas law, PV=nRT, and the fact that the adiabatic process also follows the relationship P1V1^(gamma)=P2V2^(gamma). We can rearrange this equation to solve for the ratios:

d) p3/p1 = (V1/V3)^(gamma) = (1/3)^1.3 = 0.495

e) p4/p1 = (V1/V4)^(gamma) = (1/3)^1.3 = 0.165

To find the engine efficiency, we can use the equation for efficiency in a Carnot cycle, which is efficiency = 1 - (T2/T1). Since the given cycle is not exactly a Carnot cycle, we can use the average temperature ratio (T2+T3)/(T1+T4) instead of just T2/T1.

f) Engine efficiency = 1 - ((T2+T3)/(T1+T4)) = 1 - ((3+0.660)/(1+0.110)) = 0.340 or 34%

1. What is an adiabatic engine ratio?

An adiabatic engine ratio is the ratio of the maximum temperature of a gas inside an engine to the initial temperature of the gas. It is a measure of the efficiency of an engine and is dependent on various factors such as compression ratio, fuel type, and engine design.

2. How is the adiabatic engine ratio calculated?

The adiabatic engine ratio can be calculated by dividing the maximum temperature of the gas inside the engine by the initial temperature of the gas. This can be determined experimentally or through mathematical models.

3. What is the significance of the adiabatic engine ratio?

The adiabatic engine ratio is important because it indicates the maximum potential efficiency of an engine. A higher ratio means that more energy can be converted into work, resulting in a more efficient engine.

4. How does the adiabatic engine ratio affect engine performance?

The adiabatic engine ratio directly affects engine performance. A higher ratio means that the engine can produce more power with less fuel, resulting in increased efficiency and performance.

5. Can the adiabatic engine ratio be improved?

Yes, the adiabatic engine ratio can be improved through various techniques such as increasing the compression ratio, using more efficient fuel, and optimizing the engine design. However, there are practical limitations to how much the ratio can be improved.