Adiabatic expansion; confusion

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of an ideal gas expanding into half a container without heat flow, resulting in the gas flowing into the other half of the container. The question asks for the new temperature after the expansion, and equations for adiabatic processes are provided. The solution key states that there is no change in temperature, which can be explained by the gas not doing any work as it expands into a vacuum. Furthermore, the equations provided are derived under the assumption of a slow adiabatic process, which may not be applicable in this scenario.
Scintillation

Homework Statement

We start with an ideal gas confined to half a container. Then, without heat flow, the gas flows into the other half as the partition is punctured. Find the new temperature after the expansion.

Homework Equations

Since there is no heat flow, I assume the process is adiabatic.

Relevant equations are:
(T1)(V1)^(y-1)=(T2)(V2)^Y-1

(P1)(V1)^y=(P2)(V2)^y

The Attempt at a Solution

Using my first equation, with T1= To, and V2=2V1, my final Temperature should be To/(2^y-1).

Except, my solution key states that there is NO change in temperature. Using the equation 1/2m(vrms)^2=3/2kt, since the velocity of each individual particle has not changed, then the temperature has not changed either.

But then what does my value of To/(2^y-1) mean? I always have trouble with these equations for adiabatic expansion/pressure. Another question I had (I can discuss this in more information if needed) is I was given the original volume, original and final pressure, as well as the original and final temperatures, and asked to find the final volume. I understand I could have used PV=nRT, but I tried using (P1)(V1)^y=(P2)(V2)^y to see if it would be the same. It was not the same, unfortunately, but I don't understand why. Can anyone help clarify either of these problems?

Physics news on Phys.org
Scintillation said:
Relevant equations are:
(T1)(V1)^(y-1)=(T2)(V2)^Y-1

(P1)(V1)^y=(P2)(V2)^y

These equations are derived assuming that the adiabatic process is slow (quasi-static). For a slow adiabatic expansion, the gas does work as it expands and the gas cools. But if the gas expands freely into a vacuum, the gas doesn't do any work and the only effect is for the molecules to spread apart. For an ideal gas where there is no interaction between the molecules (other than collision forces) the spreading out does not change the average speed of the molecules.

1. What is adiabatic expansion?

Adiabatic expansion is a process in thermodynamics where a gas expands without gaining or losing heat from its surroundings.

2. How is adiabatic expansion different from isothermal expansion?

Adiabatic expansion involves a change in temperature, while isothermal expansion involves a change in volume without a change in temperature.

3. What causes confusion when discussing adiabatic expansion?

Confusion can arise when discussing adiabatic expansion because it is often compared to isothermal expansion and the two processes can be easily confused.

4. What are the applications of adiabatic expansion?

Adiabatic expansion is commonly used in the process of refrigeration and air conditioning, as well as in the operation of internal combustion engines.

5. How is adiabatic expansion related to the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. Adiabatic expansion is an example of energy being transferred from a gas to its surroundings without any heat exchange, in accordance with the first law of thermodynamics.