1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adiabatic expansion of argon gas

1. Jun 30, 2005 #1
    argon enters a turbine at a rate of 800 kg/min, a temp of 800C and a pressure of 1.5MPa. It expands adiabatically as it pushes on the turbine blades and exits at a pressure 300KPa. Calculate its temperature at exit.

The equations I am working with are PV^(gamma)=constant and TV^(gamma-1)=constant. In this case gamma=1.67. If I could figure out how the second of these equations was derived from the first (I'm assuming it involves PV=nRT) I have a feeling I could solve the problem by deriving a similar expression involving P and T but I not sure how and my brain is tired.
    :yuck:
    Help would be appreciated. By the way I have the answer - it is 564K.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You have the right idea. Start with the first equation, PV^(gamma)=constant. Then pick the variable you would like to eliminate. To eliminate P, substitute P = nRT/V (from the ideal gas law). Just plug it in and you'll see that it equals your second equation, TV^(gamma-1)=constant. (The constants will be different of course, but that doesn't matter.) Try it!

Then to find the equation you need to solve your problem, eliminate V in the same manner.

4. Jul 1, 2005 #3
    Your answer is ok if the above said pressures are absolute, otherwise it would differ.

5. Jul 1, 2005 #4
    So that would mean P^(1-gamma)T^(gamma)=constant? Thanks for your help.

6. Jul 1, 2005 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Exactly right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?