1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adiabatic Expansion?

1. Apr 23, 2005 #1
    An ideal monatomic gas, consisting of 2.47 mol of volume 0.0890 m^3, expands adiabatically. The initial and final temperatures are 22.3oC and -64.3oC. What is the final volume of the gas

According to a formula in the book, the volume of an ideal monatomic gas' volume expands by 1.52, but I think I am misinterpreting that. Anyway, I have tried using the formula

V2/ V1 = (P1/P2)^y -- but I don't know how to get the second pressure. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2005 #2
    Can You express P through V and T? From ideal gas equation.

4. Apr 23, 2005 #3
    PV = nRT ?

5. Apr 23, 2005 #4
    Yes. You know that P*V^(gamma) is constant!? So P1*V1^gamma=P2*V2^gamma
    But V=V(P,T). Thus, You can find any function depndent on V and T which is constant. it will be like V*T^(q), where q is any coefficient which can be expressed with gamma

6. Apr 23, 2005 #5
    wait, can you try that again, I don't get what you're saying, sorry.

7. Apr 23, 2005 #6
    You have PV = nRT. n and R are constant.
    You also know V2/ V1 = (P1/P2)^y (do You understand what is y?)
    From other angle P1/P2 = (T1*V2)/(T2*V1) (From ideal gas equation), isn't it?
    So, know You can express T1/T2 through V1/V2.

8. Apr 23, 2005 #7
    No, I don't understand y
    It says that y = Cp/Cv -- and then it lists values for real gasses, but this is a general gas

I see what you're saying for the second part, I guess I just am frustrated with looking at it.

9. Apr 23, 2005 #8
    As You have written "V2/ V1 = (P1/P2)^y", y =Cv/Cp. Usually is used gamma = Cp/Cv=1/y. did You get the answer?

10. Apr 23, 2005 #9
    Yeah, its gamma, I just don't know how to put gamma on the computer. Anyway, no, I am still very confused. Don't worry about it, I'll try to solve it, I guess I just don't know where to get started with all of these formulas. Thanks for the help though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?