Does the Adiabatic Gas Equation Apply to Liquid Compression at High Pressures?

In summary, the conversation is about trying to calculate the temperature rise in a liquid under high pressure, specifically 7000 bar. The question is whether the adiabatic gas equation is suitable for this scenario, or if there is another method that should be used. The participants also discuss the compressibility of liquids and using pressure-volume equations to calculate the temperature rise. There is a mention of finding the answer on a different forum, but it cannot be located.
bootsnbraces
Hi all,
Hope you can help I am trying to figure out the temperature rise in a liquid subject to high pressures (7000bar in this case)

Is the below adiabatic gas equation still suitable? or is there another way of working this out for liquids?

T2 = T1(v1/v2)^y-1
P2 = P1(v1/v2)^y
Were y = Cp/Cv

I tried working this out backwards from the theory that pressure = f/a = energy/volume but i got a bit lost along the way lol

Physics news on Phys.org
Most liquids are essentially incompressible, so I wouldn't expect a great rise in temperature. And I wouldn't think that using gas equations to model liquid behavior would be accurate, either.

unfortunately nearly incompressible doesn't count at 7000 bar, i don't expect the rise to be to great but i need to figure out what it will be and don't know enough about thermodynamics to get there!
I did stumble across the answer on a different forum a few months ago but I am damned if i can find it now!

Try starting out with the pressure-volume equation for a liquid: V=V0e-βP where β is the bulk modulus, and V0 is the volume at low pressure. Use this to calculate the compressional work done. That should be equal to CpΔT.

Hello,

Thank you for your question. Adiabatic liquid compression is a complex phenomenon that requires a thorough understanding of thermodynamics and fluid mechanics. The adiabatic gas equation you have mentioned is only applicable to ideal gases, and cannot be used for liquids.

For liquids, the temperature rise under high pressures can be determined using the Joule-Thomson coefficient, which is a measure of the change in temperature with respect to pressure at constant enthalpy. This coefficient can be calculated using the Clausius-Clapeyron equation and the compressibility factor of the liquid.

Alternatively, you can also use the isentropic compression equation, which takes into account the specific heat capacity of the liquid and the change in volume under compression. This equation is more accurate for non-ideal liquids.

I would recommend consulting a thermodynamics textbook or seeking assistance from a fluid mechanics expert to accurately calculate the temperature rise in your specific case. I hope this helps. Best of luck with your research!

1. What is adiabatic liquid compression?

Adiabatic liquid compression is a process in which a liquid is compressed without any heat exchange with its surroundings. This means that the temperature of the liquid stays constant throughout the compression process.

2. How does adiabatic liquid compression work?

In adiabatic liquid compression, the liquid is compressed by applying pressure to it, which decreases its volume. Since there is no heat exchange, the temperature of the liquid does not change, but its pressure and density increase.

3. What are the applications of adiabatic liquid compression?

Adiabatic liquid compression is commonly used in industrial processes, such as in the compression of gases, refrigeration systems, and hydraulic systems. It is also used in scientific research, particularly in studying the properties of liquids under high pressure.

4. What are the advantages of adiabatic liquid compression?

One of the main advantages of adiabatic liquid compression is its efficiency. Since there is no heat exchange, there is no loss of energy, making it an energy-efficient process. It also allows for precise control of pressure and volume, making it useful in various applications.

5. Are there any limitations to adiabatic liquid compression?

One limitation of adiabatic liquid compression is that it can only be used for liquids that do not change state under compression. For example, liquids that turn into gases when compressed would not be suitable for this process. It also requires specialized equipment and careful control of variables, making it more complex and expensive compared to other compression methods.