1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adiabatic liquid compression

1. Nov 8, 2013 #1
    Hi all,
    Hope you can help im trying to figure out the temperature rise in a liquid subject to high pressures (7000bar in this case)

Is the below adiabatic gas equation still suitable? or is there another way of working this out for liquids?

T2 = T1(v1/v2)^y-1
    P2 = P1(v1/v2)^y
    Were y = Cp/Cv

I tried working this out backwards from the theory that pressure = f/a = energy/volume but i got a bit lost along the way lol

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Most liquids are essentially incompressible, so I wouldn't expect a great rise in temperature. And I wouldn't think that using gas equations to model liquid behavior would be accurate, either.

4. Nov 8, 2013 #3
    unfortunately nearly incompressible doesn't count at 7000 bar, i dont expect the rise to be to great but i need to figure out what it will be and don't know enough about thermodynamics to get there!
    I did stumble across the answer on a different forum a few months ago but im damned if i can find it now!

5. Nov 9, 2013 #4
    Try starting out with the pressure-volume equation for a liquid: V=V0e-βP where β is the bulk modulus, and V0 is the volume at low pressure. Use this to calculate the compressional work done. That should be equal to CpΔT.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook