1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Adiabatic Process, Internal Energy vs. Enthalpy.

1. Mar 1, 2016 #1
    I'm struggling to understand a concept which I assume is basic, but I can't seem to fit the pieces together. When speaking about an ideal gas, I understand that

ΔH = ΔU + Δ(PV) = ΔU + RΔT

So far so good. I also understand the relationship:

ΔU = Q + W... (W here is work being done on the system)

In an adiabatic reversible process, Q = 0, which also makes sense. So,

W = ΔU = nCvΔT

Now, where my confusion lies is in the next part. My book works out a problem, and says:

ΔH = W = nCpΔT

How can both ΔU and ΔH equal W? This doesn't make sense to me, unless Δ(PV) from the first equation was 0. I don't see how this could be 0 unless we were talking about an isothermal case. It also doesn't make sense because W can't equal both nCvΔT and nCpΔT simultaneously, since Cp = Cv + R.

Am I missing something?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2016 #2
    Never mind. Just answered my own question. The first instance refers to a closed adiabatic system, and the second refers to an open steady-state adiabatic process.

4. Mar 7, 2016 #3
    How nCvΔT will equal to W.It is the heat absorbed/released at constant volume only(no work is done at constant volume,the expression
    Cv).i think instead of work it is heat,ie ΔU=ΔH=qv at constant volume and ΔH=qp at constant pressuer
    actually it is the proof for Cp-Cv=R

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted