What is the work done during an adiabatic process?

In summary, an adiabatic process is a process where the temperature of a monatomic gas drops. The work done during the process is found by subtracting the initial temperature from the final temperature. The change in internal energy is also found by subtracting the initial internal energy from the final internal energy.
TheBeesKnees

Homework Statement

During an adiabatic process, the temperature of 5.50 moles of a monatomic idea gas drops from 495 C to 215 C. For this gas, find (a) the work it does, (b) the heat it exchanges with its surroundings, and (c) the change in its internal energy

Homework Equations

I know work is P(delta V)
PV1=nRT1 and
PV2=nRT2 so if I subtract to get the change,
P(deltaV)=nR(delta T)
P(deltaV)=5.50(8.31)(280)
P(deltaV)= 12797.4 Joules.
But my textbook says this isn't the answer.
Where did I go wrong?

I know the answer for b is zero, since that's the definition of an adiabatic process

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh yeah, and the answer to part c must be the opposite sign but same magnitude of the answer to a.

What is the work done during an ADIABATIC process... ?

Is it really (P deltaV) ?

Have a look...

adiab.gif

Last edited:
TheBeesKnees said:

Homework Statement

During an adiabatic process, the temperature of 5.50 moles of a monatomic idea gas drops from 495 C to 215 C. For this gas, find (a) the work it does, (b) the heat it exchanges with its surroundings, and (c) the change in its internal energy
Do c) first. You are given the initial and final temperatures so you can determine the change in internal energy. How is the work done related to the change in internal energy if dQ = 0?

You are assuming pressure is constant. That is where you went wrong.

AM

I see now that I was wrong to assume pressure is constant, but I'm afraid I'm still a little lost with the symbols and stuff.

What does PV^gamma mean? Is gamma an exponent? And if so, do I need to figure out what both P and V are on their own?

And what constant do they equal? My textbook says (5/3) in the chapter about adiabatic-ness.

In the equation beside the graph, how do I find Vfinal and Vinitial without being given a pressure?

You don't need to find pressure or volume to solve this problem. You do need to know that there are only two ways to add energy to a closed system: do work on it or heat it.

And in this problem, since it's adiabatic, it does not exchange heat, so if the temperature is going to go down, it must do positive work. I understand this.

I just don't understand how to apply this stuff about Cv and Cp. I am at a loss for what I should do mathematically and what all those symbols mean, and where they came from.

Hmmm... I've been searching, and I found the formula
Q= 3/2 nRdT
Which gives me 1.5*5.5*8.31*280= 19196 Joules, which my textbook says is the correct answer.

Where did the 3/2 come from?

The energy of an ideal gas depends only on its temperature, by the relationship

[tex]\Delta U=c_Vn\Delta T[/tex]

The molar heat capacity [itex]c_V[/itex] is [itex]\frac{3}{2}R[/itex] for a monatomic gas. The 3/2 factor can be derived (from statistical mechanics), but the derivation is very complex compared to what you're studying now.

1. What is an adiabatic process?

An adiabatic process is a type of thermodynamic process in which there is no transfer of heat between the system and its surroundings. This means that the system is insulated and does not exchange energy with its surroundings in the form of heat.

2. How is work done in an adiabatic process?

In an adiabatic process, work is done by or on the system through the compression or expansion of a gas. This work is done without any heat transfer, making it an isentropic (constant entropy) process.

3. What is the formula for calculating work done in an adiabatic process?

The formula for calculating work done in an adiabatic process is W = -PΔV, where W is the work done, P is the pressure, and ΔV is the change in volume.

4. Can work be done without any change in temperature in an adiabatic process?

Yes, work can be done without any change in temperature in an adiabatic process. This is because work is defined as the transfer of energy due to a force acting over a distance, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a system.

5. What are some real-life examples of adiabatic processes?

Some examples of adiabatic processes in real life include the compression and expansion of gases in internal combustion engines, the compression of air in a bicycle pump, and the expansion of gas in a spray can.