1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adiabatic Process: Work

1. Jan 26, 2005 #1
    I have 5.00 mol of O2(Oxygen) at 20.0 Celsius and 1.00atm. I will compress this to 1/10 the original volume.

Find the work? The correct answer is 46.1 Kj

I am having a terrible time with this.

This is what I know: Q = 0 for an adiabatic process, and the change in internal energy is equal to work.

I think I use integrate Pdv, but Im getting very confused. I am really lost and need a push in the right direction!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2005 #2
    Ideal gas law? You know pressure, temperature and the number of atoms and 1 atm is much less than the critical pressure.
  4. Jan 26, 2005 #3
    PV = nRT
    I just dont see how to plug it in. Pleaseee help its driving me crazy!
  5. Jan 26, 2005 #4
    What variable do you not have a value for? There's only one. Solve for the unknown plug in your known values. This will yield your initial condition. Apply the condition in the question. Then use:

6. Jan 26, 2005 #5
    In an adiabatic process [tex]Q=0[/tex] then [tex]\Delta U+L=0[/tex] and [tex]L=-\Delta U[/tex]. You can find now
    [tex]L=-\nu C_V \Delta T[/tex].
    (Because you deal with a diatomic gas, you'll have [tex]C_V=\frac{5}{2}R[/tex]).

The final temperature is taken from [tex]TV^{\gamma-1}=const[/tex] (here [tex]T[/tex] is in Kelvin, as you probably know).

OBS. In my opinion, the work made by the gas must be negative!
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?