1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adiabatic process

1. Nov 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1 kg of H20 goes through a reversible adiabatic proces from 220kPa, 200C to 50C in the final state. What is the pressure final and volume final?

Assume S1=s2

2. Relevant equations

Conservation of Energy

3. The attempt at a solution

Found S to be 7.5080, was thinking I could find this relating to 30°C, but missing something.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2011 #2
    T_2 = T_1 \left( \frac{P_2}{P_1} \right)^{\frac{\gamma-1}{\gamma}}

Found that, but dont really know what the gammas represent?

6e0bc8d5bc392b6a685e362884024348.png

4. Nov 28, 2011 #3
    Use your steam tables or temperature-entropy diagram for water. Your initial condition is super heated. So you will need to look in the super heated steam tables. Find P1 and T1 in the tables to determine entropy (s1). You might need to do some interpolation to find S1 because the pressures in the tables may not be the exactly what you are looking for. Go to the saturated water tables for T2 and S1. You are saturated if S1 is between Sf and Sg for that temperature. It looks like you are. Read P2 from the table.

5. Nov 28, 2011 #4
    Wow, I was way over complicating that, thanks so much RTW69!!!

Then I took the specific volume X the mass of the water and got the volume (just in case someone looks at this in the future).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook