Understanding the Adiabatic Process: Exploring ΔU and W in Thermodynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the change in internal energy, heat, and work in an adiabatic process. It is explained that for an ideal gas, ΔU is a function only of temperature, and in an adiabatic process, ΔU = CvΔT = W. However, there is confusion about the use of Cp and ΔT in relation to ΔU, and it is clarified that the formula ΔU = nCpΔT is incorrect.
Tian En
For an adiabatic process, Q = 0.
From the first law of thermodynamic,
ΔU = Q + W on the system
when Q = 0,
W = -PΔV,
then why is it that ΔU = Cv ΔT when Cv is meant for the constant volume? We know that when there is work done, the volume is changing, and making use of Cv sounds like an contradiction. Please enlighten me. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's split it into two processes: Change temperature from T1 to T2 at constant volume ΔU1 = Cv ΔT
Change volume from V1 to V2 at constant temperature ΔU2 = 0
ΔU = ΔU1 + ΔU2 = Cv ΔT
As U is a state function, ΔU is independent of pathway.

mjc123 said:
Let's split it into two processes: Change temperature from T1 to T2 at constant volume ΔU1 = Cv ΔT
Change volume from V1 to V2 at constant temperature ΔU2 = 0
ΔU = ΔU1 + ΔU2 = Cv ΔT
As U is a state function, ΔU is independent of pathway.
This is true only for an ideal gas (since, for an ideal gas, the internal energy is a function only of temperature).

Since U is a state function, ΔU independent of pathway, it means I can also use CpΔT = -PΔV, right?

Tian En said:
Since U is a state function, ΔU independent of pathway, it means I can also use CpΔT = -PΔV, right?
No. $$\Delta U=nC_v\Delta T$$. On the other hand, $$\Delta H=nC_p\Delta T$$

I see. I have yet to learn enthalpy.
let's say for an adiabatic process, Q = 0, ΔU = W on the system = -PΔV, and ΔU = nCvΔT = -PΔV.
If we keep the pressure P, number of moles n and molar specific heat capacity Cv constant and we compress the system by ΔV (-ve) and hence we have -PΔV (+ve) and therefore the ΔT (+ve). However, the ideal gas law PV = nRT => PΔV = nRΔT implies ΔV (+ve) and ΔT (+ve) for constant n, R and P.

Previously, we have seen that ΔV (-ve) => ΔT (+ve), but now ΔV (+ve) => ΔT (+ve) from ideal gas law. Is there a contradiction?

Tian En said:
I see. I have yet to learn enthalpy.
let's say for an adiabatic process, Q = 0, ΔU = W on the system = -PΔV, and ΔU = nCvΔT = -PΔV.
If we keep the pressure P, number of moles n and molar specific heat capacity Cv constant and we compress the system by ΔV (-ve) and hence we have -PΔV (+ve) and therefore the ΔT (+ve). However, the ideal gas law PV = nRT => PΔV = nRΔT implies ΔV (+ve) and ΔT (+ve) for constant n, R and P.

Previously, we have seen that ΔV (-ve) => ΔT (+ve), but now ΔV (+ve) => ΔT (+ve) from ideal gas law. Is there a contradiction?
Please tell me how you think you are going to compress the gas is you keep the pressure constant and don't remove heat.

So, this adiabatic equation no longer hold because by keeping the pressure constant, it violates the ideal gas law and by adding the term Q (-ve) to the equation, it becomes: ΔU = nCvΔT = -PΔV + Q (Isobaric equation)

Tian En said:
So, this adiabatic equation no longer hold because by keeping the pressure constant, it violates the ideal gas law and by adding the term Q (-ve) to the equation, it becomes: ΔU = nCvΔT = -PΔV + Q (Isobaric equation)
I have no idea what you are talking about. All I can say is that, if you don't increase the pressure, you can't compress the gas (if the system is adiabatic).

Tian En said:
For an adiabatic process, Q = 0.
From the first law of thermodynamic,
ΔU = Q + W on the system
when Q = 0,
W = -PΔV,
then why is it that ΔU = Cv ΔT when Cv is meant for the constant volume? We know that when there is work done, the volume is changing, and making use of Cv sounds like an contradiction. Please enlighten me. Thank you.
∆U=Cv∆T comes from the fact that whatever heat is added to an ideal gas keeping it's volume constant will only increase its internal energy and for an ideal gas internal energy is a function of temperature only.
Now we imagine that the system is undergoing an adiabatic process in which the heat added to the system is zero, and as per our knowledge of first law we know that the change in internal energy is a point function. Therefore if the states 1 and 2 are defined then ∆U will remain the same irrespective of the path undergone by a system . So in an adiabatic process ∆U =Cv∆T = W.
Hope this helps you.

Likes Tian En
Chestermiller said:
I have no idea what you are talking about. All I can say is that, if you don't increase the pressure, you can't compress the gas (if the system is adiabatic).
I was just trying to relate the formula to physical impossibility. When there are inconsistencies in the formula, it is impossible to happen physically. i.e. By keeping the pressure constant, it can never be adiabatic, because Q is no longer 0.
HimanshuM2376 said:
Hope this helps you.
It helps. Thank you. Since the change internal energy just as a function of temperature and previously I learned that ΔU ≠ nCpΔT but ΔU = nCvΔT, is it possible to relate Cp and ΔT to the ΔU?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tian En said:
I was just trying to relate the formula to physical impossibility. When there are inconsistencies in the formula, it is impossible to happen physically. i.e. By keeping the pressure constant, it can never be adiabatic, because Q is no longer 0.

It helps. Thank you. Since the change internal energy just as a function of temperature, I am looking at how to relate Cp and ΔT to the ΔU since previously I learned that ΔU ≠ nCpΔT but ΔU = nCvΔT, is it possible?
##\Delta U=nC_p\Delta T## is just plain incorrect. If you learned it that way, you learned it wrong.

Likes Tian En
Tian En said:
It helps. Thank you. Since the change internal energy just as a function of temperature and previously I learned that ΔU ≠ nCpΔT but ΔU = nCvΔT, is it possible to relate Cp and ΔT to the ΔU?
For an ideal gas we have Cp=Cv+R (see e.g. heat capacity on wiki), so ΔU = n(Cp-R)ΔT.

Great, thank you.

What is the adiabatic process?

The adiabatic process is a thermodynamic process in which there is no transfer of heat between a system and its surroundings. This means that the system is insulated and there is no exchange of thermal energy.

How does the adiabatic process differ from the isothermal process?

The adiabatic process differs from the isothermal process in that there is no change in temperature during an adiabatic process, while an isothermal process occurs at a constant temperature.

What is ΔU in thermodynamics?

ΔU, also known as the change in internal energy, is a measure of the change in a system's total energy. It accounts for the changes in the system's potential and kinetic energy.

What is W in thermodynamics?

W, also known as work, is a measure of the energy transferred to or from a system through mechanical means. It is typically measured in joules (J).

How are ΔU and W related in the adiabatic process?

In the adiabatic process, there is no heat transfer, so ΔU = W. This means that the work done on or by the system is equal to the change in internal energy of the system.