1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adiabatic Processes

1. Nov 13, 2006 #1
    I have tried every combination of terms that I can think of within PV=nRT to find nR. Here are the three expressions that I have come up with, none of which are correct based on the answer to this question...

nR = 100 * 0.01e-3 / 300 (the expression with kPa as the units of pressure)

nR = 100e3 * 0.01e-3 / 300 (the expression with Pa as the units of pressure)

nR = (100e3 / 1.013e5) * 0.01e-3 / 300 (the expression with atm as the units of pressure)

Help, please! I'm not sure what I'm screwing up on! Thanks to anybody who can help with this...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think it will help you if you write the units with the numbers to make sure you have the result exressed in the units you need. I assume you want nR in units of Joules/K. I think I see an extraneous e-3 in the first two, and I have no idea why you tried the third one.

4. Nov 13, 2006 #3
    The e-3 is the conversion factor from m^3 to liters, which is why it's included. The third is because I've had success going from Pascals to Atmospheres before with this formula, and I'm a little n00bish with using it. Lemme re-write those with units...

nR = 100 kPa * 0.01 m^3 * (1 L / 1e-3 m^3) / 300 K
    nR = 100e3 Pa * 0.01 m^3 * (1 L / 1e-3 m^3) / 300 K
    nR = (100e3 Pa * (1 atm / 1.013e5 pa) ) * 0.01 m^3 * (1 L / 1e-3 m^3) / 300 K

I think I just found my mistake. I feel like an idiot for that one...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?