Exploring Adiabatic Wind in the Rocky Mountains

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of adiabatic wind and how it affects the temperature on the eastern side of the Rocky Mountains. Using the given equations, it is determined that a parcel of air descending from an altitude of 4267m to 1567m would experience an increase in temperature, from -5.00℃ to -5.41℃, due to the increase in pressure. However, this result does not make sense and it is suggested to use the Kelvin scale to get a more accurate and logical answer.
EmBista

Homework Statement

Adiabatic wind. The normal airflow over the Rocky Mountains is west to east. The air loses much of its moisture content and is chilled as it climbs the western side of the mountains. When it descends on the eastern side, the increase in pressure toward lower altitudes causes the temperature to increase. The flow, then called a chinook wind, can rapidly raise the air temperature at the base of the mountains. Assume that the air pressur p depends on altitude y according to [itex]p=p_0e[/itex]-ay where [itex]p_0=1.00atm[/itex] and [itex]a=1.16*10[/itex]-4m-1. Also assume that the ratio of the molar specific heats is: [itex]γ=4/3[/itex]. A parcel of air with an initial temperature of -5.00℃ descends adiabatically from [itex]y_1=4267m[/itex] to [itex]y=1567m[/itex]. What is its temperature at the end of the descent?

Homework Equations

pVγ=a constant
TVγ-1=a constant

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know if I went right here.. but here it goes.

[itex]p_1=1*e^{-a*4267}[/itex]
[itex]p_1=0.609587975[/itex]
[itex]p_2=1*e^{-a*4267}[/itex]
[itex]p_2=0.833791423[/itex]

[itex]p_1V_1^γ=p_2V_2^γ[/itex]
[itex]V_2^γ=(p_1/p_2)[/itex] as [itex]v_1^γ=1[/itex]
[itex]ln(V_2)=(ln(p_1/p_2))/γ[/itex]
[itex]e^{ln(V_2)}=e^{ln(p_1/p_2)/γ}[/itex]
plug in all the numbers and [itex]V_2=0.790455348[/itex]

[itex]T_2V_2^{γ-1}=T_1V_1^{γ-1}[/itex]
[itex]V_1=1[/itex] [itex]V_2=0.790455348[/itex] [itex]T_1=-5[/itex] [itex]T_2=?[/itex]

[itex]T_2=\frac{T_1V_1^{γ-1}}{V_2^{γ-1}}[/itex] as [itex]V_1^{γ-1}=1[/itex]
[itex]T_2=\frac{T_1}{V_2^{γ-1}}[/itex]
[itex]T_2=\frac{-5}{0.790455348^{4/3-1}}[/itex]
[itex]T_2=-5.40767883[/itex]

This answer doesn't make sense because the temperature is supposed to INCREASE.

So can anybody tell me where I went wrong? Maybe tell me I used the wrong formulas..

Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Try it using the Kelvin scale.

That solved it :) wow I'm an idiot

1. What is adiabatic wind?

Adiabatic wind is a type of wind that is caused by the heating and cooling of air as it rises and falls over a mountain range. This process occurs due to changes in air pressure and results in strong, gusty winds.

2. How does adiabatic wind form in the Rocky Mountains?

The Rocky Mountains are a large mountain range that runs through western North America. As air is forced to rise over these mountains, it cools and condenses, creating strong winds on the leeward side of the range.

3. What are the effects of adiabatic winds in the Rocky Mountains?

Adiabatic winds in the Rocky Mountains can have a significant impact on the local climate and weather patterns. They can also cause dangerous conditions for hikers and climbers, as well as affect the flight patterns of airplanes.

4. How do scientists study adiabatic winds in the Rocky Mountains?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study adiabatic winds in the Rocky Mountains. This may include weather balloons, wind turbines, and advanced computer simulations to track and analyze wind patterns.

5. What are some potential applications of studying adiabatic winds in the Rocky Mountains?

Understanding adiabatic winds in the Rocky Mountains can have practical applications in various industries, such as aviation, energy production, and weather forecasting. It can also provide valuable insights into the complex interactions between air and land in mountainous regions.