1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adiabatics with OTTO CYCLE

1. Nov 14, 2009 #1
    hey guys, just wanted to know, in the graph of the OTTO cycle in the link

http://www.qrg.northwestern.edu/thermo/design-library/otto/Otto-Pv-diagram.gif

are stage (2-3) and (1-4) adiabatic or not, if so why are they

the reason i ask is that i have a graph showing that these stages are adiabatic, however, adiabatic processes are where no heat is exchanged QIN = 0

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Adiabatic and isentropic are one and the same thing. The adiabats on your diagram are 1-2 and 3-4. The other two, 2-3 and 1-4 are isochoric (constant volume).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  4. Nov 14, 2009 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Isentropic processes are always adiabatic. Adiabatic processes, however, are not always isentropic. A non-isentropic adiabatic process, such as free expansion of a gas, should not be referred to as adiabatic, in my view. However, I seem to have lost that battle.

AM

5. Nov 14, 2009 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks for pointing out the subtle difference. I should have confined myself to answering the original question instead of trying to generalize.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook