Adiabiatic process

In an adiabiatic process q=0 so change in internal enegy become equal to work. Since internal enegy is path function so work done in an adiabiatic process should also be path function then why work done in adibiatic reversible and irreversible different?

Answers and Replies

PeterDonis
Mentor
Insights Author
2020 Award
internal enegy is path function so work done in an adiabiatic process should also be path function

This assumes that every state traversed by the process is a thermodynamic equilibrium state. Out of thermodynamic equilibrium, the concept of a "path function" is not well-defined.

why work done in adibiatic reversible and irreversible different?

Because in an irreversible process, the intermediate states are not in thermodynamic equilibrium.

By mistake i have wriitten that i want to say In an adiabiatic process q=0 so change in internal enegy become equal to work. Since internal enegy is state function so work done in an adiabiatic process should also be state function then why work done in adibiatic reversible and irreversible different?

PeterDonis
Mentor
Insights Author
2020 Award
By mistake i have wriitten that i want to say In an adiabiatic process q=0 so change in internal enegy become equal to work. Since internal enegy is state function so work done in an adiabiatic process should also be state function then why work done in adibiatic reversible and irreversible different?

This is basically the same question you asked in your OP, and I answered it in post #2. (My answer is still valid if you substitute "state function" for "path function".) Do you have questions about my answer?