1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adiabiatic process

1. Sep 15, 2015 #1
    In an adiabiatic process q=0 so change in internal enegy become equal to work. Since internal enegy is path function so work done in an adiabiatic process should also be path function then why work done in adibiatic reversible and irreversible different?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2015 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

This assumes that every state traversed by the process is a thermodynamic equilibrium state. Out of thermodynamic equilibrium, the concept of a "path function" is not well-defined.

Because in an irreversible process, the intermediate states are not in thermodynamic equilibrium.

4. Sep 16, 2015 #3
    By mistake i have wriitten that i want to say In an adiabiatic process q=0 so change in internal enegy become equal to work. Since internal enegy is state function so work done in an adiabiatic process should also be state function then why work done in adibiatic reversible and irreversible different?

5. Sep 16, 2015 #4

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

This is basically the same question you asked in your OP, and I answered it in post #2. (My answer is still valid if you substitute "state function" for "path function".) Do you have questions about my answer?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook