1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adjoint of a linear operator

1. Jan 7, 2008 #1
    Let T:V -> V be a linear operator on a finite-dimensional inner product space V.
    Prove that rank(T) = rank(T*).

So far I've proven that rank (T*T) = rank(T) by showing that ker(T*T) = ker(T). But I can't think of how to go from there.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2008 #2
    Oh, should I use the fact that the number of linearly independent rows of a matrix A is equal to the number of linearly independent columns of A*, and that rank(T) = rank of matrix represenation of T wrt to a basis? Or is there a better way?

rank(T)=rank([T])=rank([T]*)=rank([T*])=rank(T*)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  4. Jan 8, 2008 #3
    well, dimV=dimT+dimKerT=dimT*+dimkerT*
    but kerT=kerT*, one way to prove it is if
    v not zero in ker T, then T(v)=0, so 0=<Tv,v>=<v,T*v>
    but v isn't zero then T*(v)=0, you can do it also vice versa.

5. Jan 8, 2008 #4
    But <v,T*v>=0 implies T*v=0 only if <v,T*v>=0 for ALL v in V, not just for v in kerT.

6. Jan 8, 2008 #5

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

imT* is the orthogonal complement of kerT. So dimV=rankT*+dimkerT=rankT+dimkerT.

7. Jan 8, 2008 #6
    Wow! Morphism, do you look these proofs up somewhere, or do you figure it out completely from scratch? If the latter, then you must be a genius!

8. Jan 8, 2008 #7

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's just experience and not any form of genius - I already knew that fact, and it turned out to be helpful here.

9. Oct 4, 2010 #8
    How is the adjoint of the adjoint of a linear operator, the linear operator itself? i.e. A**=A?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?