Find Complex Conjugate of u_j in Adjoint of Equation

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date
Shankar took the adjoint of the second equation and then dotted it with the first equation to get <u_j|U^tU|u_i>=u_i{u_j}^*<u_j|u_i>In summary, Shankar took the adjoint of one equation and multiplied it with the other equation to get a new equation with the complex conjugate of one of the terms.
cragar
This is not a homework problem, just trying to figure out what shankar did.
[itex] U|u_i>=u_i|u_i> [/itex]
[itex] U|u_j>=u_j|u_j> [/itex]
Ok so we have these 2 equations and then shankars says to take the adjoint
of the second equation and dot each side with the corresponding side of the first equation,
we get
[itex] <u_j|U^tU|u_i=u_i{u_j}^*<u_j|u_i> [/itex]
is the [itex] {u_j}^* [/itex] just the complex conjugate of [itex] u_j [/itex] ?
Now that I typed it out it seems more clear I originally thought there was an extra factor.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, u* is the complex conjugate of u.

What is the definition of a complex conjugate?

A complex conjugate of a complex number is a number that has the same real part but an opposite imaginary part. It is denoted by adding a bar over the original number, for example, the complex conjugate of 3+4i is 3-4i.

What does it mean to find the complex conjugate of u_j?

Finding the complex conjugate of u_j means finding a complex number that, when multiplied by u_j, gives a real number. This is important in the context of finding the adjoint of an equation, as it helps simplify the calculation process.

How do you find the complex conjugate of u_j in the adjoint of an equation?

To find the complex conjugate of u_j in the adjoint of an equation, you can simply take the complex conjugate of each coefficient in u_j. This means changing the sign of the imaginary part for each term.

Why is finding the complex conjugate important in the adjoint of an equation?

Finding the complex conjugate in the adjoint of an equation is important because it helps simplify the calculation process. By taking the complex conjugate, we can transform the original equation into a form that is easier to work with and can lead to simpler solutions.

What are some applications of finding the complex conjugate of u_j in the adjoint of an equation?

The concept of finding the complex conjugate of u_j in the adjoint of an equation has many applications in mathematics and physics. It is used in solving differential equations, studying wave phenomena, and in quantum mechanics, among others.