Adjoint of position operator

• I
  • Thread starter Kashmir
  • Start date
Kashmir
I'm trying to find the adjoint of position operator.

I've done this:

The eigenvalue equation of position operator is

##\hat{x}|x\rangle=x|x\rangle##

The adjoint of position operator acts as

##\left\langle x\left|\hat{x}^{\dagger}=x<x\right|\right.##

Then using above equation we've
##\left\langle x\left|x^{\dagger}\right| x\right\rangle=x\langle x \mid x\rangle##

or

##\langle x|( x^{\dagger}
|x\rangle)=\langle x|(x| x\rangle)##

Then

##x^{\dagger}|x\rangle=x|x\rangle##

Hence
##x^{\dagger}=x##

Is this correct?

Answers and Replies

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
##\hat{x}|x\rangle=x|x\rangle##

The adjoint of position operator acts as

##\left\langle x\left|\hat{x}^{\dagger}=x<x\right|\right.##

Then using above equation we've
##\left\langle x\left|x^{\dagger}\right| x\right\rangle=x\langle x \mid x\rangle##
##\langle x|( x^{\dagger}
|x\rangle)=\langle x|(x| x\rangle)##

Then

##x^{\dagger}|x\rangle=x|x\rangle##

Hence
##x^{\dagger}=x##

Is this correct?
I think you've shown that any operator that has a complete spectrum of eigenvectors and real eigenvalues is Hermitian (this is not the same as self-adjoint, but that may be the book you are using).

An important identity for any operator and vectors is:
$$\langle u |Q^{\dagger}|v \rangle = \langle v| Q|u \rangle^*$$To show that ##Q## is Hermitian you need to show that:$$\forall u, v: \ \langle u |Q|v \rangle = \langle v| Q|u \rangle^*$$Your proof is not wrong, but you could add a bit more to it, perhaps.

Likes vanhees71 and Kashmir
Kashmir
I think you've shown that any operator that has a complete spectrum of eigenvectors and real eigenvalues is Hermitian (this is not the same as self-adjoint, but that may be the book you are using).

An important identity for any operator and vectors is:
$$\langle u |Q^{\dagger}|v \rangle = \langle v| Q|u \rangle^*$$To show that ##Q## is Hermitian you need to show that:$$\forall u, v: \ \langle u |Q|v \rangle = \langle v| Q|u \rangle^*$$Your proof is not wrong, but you could add a bit more to it, perhaps.
I'm thinking about it again.

In your opinion how can I find ##x^{\dagger}## then? Also is my result correct about ##x^{\dagger}##?

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
I'm thinking about it again.

In your opinion how can I find ##x^{\dagger}## then? Also is my result correct about ##x^{\dagger}##?
In your proof you didn't emphasise that ##|x \rangle## was any eigenvector of ##\hat x## and that every vector can be expressed as an integral over these eigenvectors (which form an uncountable basis). In general:
$$| \alpha \rangle = \int dx \ |x \rangle \langle x| \alpha \rangle = \int dx \ \alpha(x) |x \rangle$$

• Informative
Likes Kashmir and vanhees71
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
You already know that the position operator is Hermitian, so the question is whether your proof is valid and complete. There's no question about the conclusion!

Likes Kashmir and vanhees71
Kashmir
You already know that the position operator is Hermitian, so the question is whether your proof is valid and complete. There's no question about the conclusion!

We can write for any kets:

##\langle\varphi|\hat{x}| \psi\rangle=\int x d x\langle\varphi \mid x\rangle\langle x \mid \psi\rangle##

Similarly
##\langle\psi|\hat{x}| \varphi\rangle^{*}=\int x d x(\langle \psi\mid x\rangle\langle x \mid \varphi\rangle)^{*}=\int x d x\langle x \mid \psi\rangle\langle\varphi \mid x\rangle##

##\begin{aligned} \therefore \quad &\langle\varphi|\hat{x}| \psi\rangle=\langle\psi|\hat{x}| \varphi\rangle^{*} \\ & \Rightarrow x^{\dagger}=x \end{aligned}##

Is this valid and complete now?

Likes PeroK and vanhees71
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Discussing operators and their adjoints in bra-ket notation is wrong, or at most confusing. Just stick to regular scalar product notation ##\langle a, b\rangle##.

Suggested for: Adjoint of position operator

• Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies